• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Gen 2 Issue

xfillxupx

My 86 M1008 Gen 2 light will not come on. The previous owner had the wrong alternator installed and ran the truck for sometime and I believe he shorted something out... I purchased it running but the Gen 2 light was on. The previous owner had the isolated ground hooked to the case of the alternator (gen 2). I installed a reman isolated ground alternator; it is getting voltage in all the correct places, but I do not believe it is charging; it is creating a magnetism but the Gen 2 light isn't coming on when the truck is started. From everything I have read this shouldn't happen because my Gen 2 light isn't working... Gen 2 should not be getting excited. I know the bulb isn't burned out, I have all the wiring to Gen 2 hooked up correctly. What is going on? I've read the TMs but find them very difficult to follow and I find wiring diagrams difficult to comprehend as well. Any help is appreciated.

Attached is some of the previous owners fine wiring... Yes that is speaker wire. It was spliced into some thick red wire by the solenoid.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the CUCV Helpful threads sticky that covers the GEN2 circuit?

xfillxupx

That I have; it is quite a long thread! I am most curious about the placement of the fusible links. I know most are toast, but I have only been able to find 3. In a post you mention 8 burnt out fusible.

rsh4364

I cant begin to advise you on your electronic situation,but will tell you that's not your starter solenoid.Its for your glowplugs.Your best bet is to use the search function,upper right of page.You can find anything you want to know about these trucks,and a bunch you might not want to know.