• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift??

dutch

hello all,im new here and need a little help.ive owned a m1009 for a couple years,and i just bought a m1008 off ebay last month.love them both.never had any real problems.for my m1008,i bought a set of humvee wheel and sent them to usa 6x6 to be recentered and in looking at a set of goodyears 36x12.50=16.5 with a set of run-flats.have any of you guys ever ran this combo?how is the driveability?can they be balanced?are bead lock inserts better then run-flats??im realy only looking at a 36" tire to change the 4.56 gear in the rear end,so i can run on the hwy and the motor isnt screaming.i also need a lift kit.all spring.no blocks.i see most guys on here run a 6" lift.i want to stay as low as possible.can i get by with a 4" lift with out cutting the fenders??any comments or suggestions woud help alot..thanks,Mark

M1075

I've have the 12 bolt rims with 37" radials on the M1008. No lift, just a little trim! Drives fine. Search the forum for more info and pics. Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't answer your questions but please report back on the wheels once you get them back. Welcome to Steel Soldiers and perhaps I'll see you around Cleves next August (taking this year off).

dutch

thanks for the welcome,Kenny.Gravelrama is aways a good time..M1075,whats your back space on your rims ?usa6x6 told me they backspace 3.5" for a M1008.my rims are the 8 bolt type.should be the same as the 12bolt rim.i think?i would like to get by with as little lift as i can.i dont want to trim.the body on this truck is great.i would hate to cut on it.Thanks,Mark

AJMBLAZER

I have a similar truck on 36x12.5-16.5 RT/II's using GM 16.5" wheels. Pictures are on my CarDomain site that is linked to through the www button under my posts.
When you get these on check your steering stops. I found out my tires could hit my drag link and destroyed the forward drag link end. Whoops. One 2" Grade 8 3/8" fine thread bolt later the problem is fixed...except for the drag link.

How stiff are the springs still?
Mine don't move much so the tires don't get all that close to the fenders. Just a little trim to the front fenders on each side and the 36's fit good with no lift. I don't wheel the piss out of it though so I'd imagine if I went out and purposely got it crossed up and flexing hard I might be able to make it tag the fenders.

Lifting it is kind of a paradox. MOST companies don't make lift kits for 1 ton trucks, only the vastly more common 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons. The front springs would bolt right in...but having a lower weight rating they would allow the tire to flex more and therefore go into the fenders easier. You have to look for heavy rated springs. I know Superlift makes lift kits specifically for the 1 tons but they aren't my favorite company for other reasons.
In the rear the 1 tons have 56" long 3" wide springs compared to most 1/2 and 3/4 tons' 52" long 2.5" wide rear springs. Remember that before you buy rear springs meant for a lower weight truck. Just a heads up from mistakes others have made.
Consider a shackle flip for the rear and then only lift springs for the front.

That is what I will do eventually. 3" front springs, 2.5" ORD rear shackle flip and 1" zero rate, and trimming whatever else is necessary.

Oh yeah, as far as balancing these check out http://www.innovativebalancing.com . I use their beads in my vehicles and they work great. I had POUNDS of weights on the tires that seem, so far, to have been replaced with 10 ounces of their beads in each tire. So far, so good. 8)

dutch

Thanks for the info guys.im looking into a shackle flip for the rear,new spring up front.do you all use run-flats?im looking at a set on ebay,a bout $45 per with shipping..i know they weight 25lbs a piece.is it better to run a bead lock insert? a lot lighter..usa 6x6 has them for $40 per.i was told you have to run one or the other for safety with a blow out.is this right?thanks,Mark

CCATLETT1984

yes you do need to run an insert of some sort. with offroad tires you will need to trim down the runflat or it will be to wide (offroad tires have thicker beads than the tires the rims were designed for).

I wouldnt bother with the run-flats. I run beadlock inserts made by Dean Reed, you can see a writeup on them on pirate4x4.com they are around $55 each.

BKinzey

I've seen pics of the 6x6 runflats and they looked good to me. Some have also cut the "runflat" off the magnesium type and gotten good results as well.

M1075

Re: RE: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift??

dutch said:
thanks for the welcome,Kenny.Gravelrama is aways a good time..M1075,whats your back space on your rims ?usa6x6 told me they backspace 3.5" for a M1008.my rims are the 8 bolt type.should be the same as the 12bolt rim.i think?i would like to get by with as little lift as i can.i dont want to trim.the body on this truck is great.i would hate to cut on it.Thanks,Mark
The rims are stock HMMWV. I just added 2" spacers on all four corners. That way all HMMWV rims will fit and I don't have to break any down. I can have an endless supply of rims with tires for cheap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift??

Don't know how I missed this thread. Dutch, we have a few members here in the Cincy area. I don't think anyone has the cucvs except Elohim1(another Chris). Where exactly are you? Let me know how your service is from usa6x6, I have heard different reviews. We will have to get together for a beer and BS about trucks.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift??

I dont live that far from you guys either, and later this summer I plan on making a trip down to gimpy's on a weekend. a 3.5" backspacing will have the tires sitting at a wider stance than the stock rims, stock backspacing is ~4.5". you wont have any problems, since you are running the humvee tires you could use the stock runflats without modifying them. you would need to cut them down if you were to ever switch to a offroad tire. I would run the magnesium ones, and you can leave the runflat with those tires. for balancing i recommend useing the plastic BB's (you will never get them to balance out with reg. weights)

Elohim1

Re: RE: Re: RE: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift??

gimpyrobb said:
Don't know how I missed this thread. Dutch, we have a few members here in the Cincy area. I don't think anyone has the cucvs except Elohim1(another Chris). Where exactly are you? Let me know how your service is from usa6x6, I have heard different reviews. We will have to get together for a beer and BS about trucks.
I just saw the thread. I say go with tractor tires. :shock:

Adamlee

Re: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift, yada yada

M1075 said:
The rims are stock HMMWV. I just added 2" spacers on all four corners. That way all HMMWV rims will fit and I don't have to break any down. I can have an endless supply of rims with tires for cheap.
What spacers and where, to get the Humvee rims to clear the brakes etc?

Adam

dutch

RE: Re: m1008 humvee wheels,tires,run-flats,lift, yada yada

the tractor tires look good on there.but i want to drive on the street.they cant handle good at 55.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
CUCV BACK SPACEING FROM 6X6

I ordered my wheels from 6x6 2 months ago, they forgot about me. recently called them and they apologized. i should have my 12 bolts in 2 weeks tops. ordered, 5 inch bS, because 7" stock - 2 inch spacer = 5" BS. Also wanted the solid centers for the correct stock Humvee look. I bought the 36" tires on ebay for $380 delivered. New..4 tires..I dont want to lift the truck..I will send pics of before and after...
Stay tuned...

Kevin..