• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Ignition switch

MasterSweeper

Thinking about replacing the ignition switch on my M1008 just for good measure, it is kind of old. Are they the same as a K30 civilian pickup??? or is there something special about it??? Thanks Jim.

MasterSweeper

Just to clarify, I call it a ignition switch some people call it a starter switch. Its mounted on the side of the column and their is a metal rod that pushes it when you turn the key. Thanks...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When in doubt, whip it out(the Parts Technical Manual that is)... It says it is called a, SWITCH,LOCK,IGNITION GM part number 7843294

Proper terminology and part numbers(and pictures) is very helpful when looking for parts or information.

Last edited:

the skull

You can replace the lock cylinder. But you must replace the entire switch on the top of the column to get the reverse accessory position.
Really??? They don't have an acc position??? I never tried to find it
but I never thought of it not having one. Kind of like the turn signals always
work, key in the truck or in your pocket. Are there other little secrets we need to
know???? Like don't feed them after midnight?

Guess a truck with no accessories doesn't need an accessory
position on the key switch.

dependable

Thinking about replacing the ignition switch on my M1008 just for good measure, it is kind of old. Are they the same as a K30 civilian pickup??? or is there something special about it??? Thanks Jim.
So you are going to replace a functioning, original, USA made switch that is OK? If it is on a CUCV, it may be low use. Lube the sliding parts up with white lithium greese or something. My opinion anyway. What ever you can get to replace it will not be as good unless you can find an NOS part.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty much a standard on all vehicles.

We're getting way off topic here.

MarcusOReallyus

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have access to NOS GM ignition lock cylinders for the CUCV. These even have the GM key with the 73Y2 punchout still in place. Sadly, they are not cheap.

MasterSweeper

So you are going to replace a functioning, original, USA made switch that is OK? If it is on a CUCV, it may be low use. Lube the sliding parts up with white lithium greese or something. My opinion anyway. What ever you can get to replace it will not be as good unless you can find an NOS part.
Well i had one go bad on a gas 454 K20 i use to own, I did not have any tools on me and it stuck in the start position. Lets say it did a number on the starter until I was able to disconnect the battery. AC Delco has a listing for new ones, so yeah i am thinking about replacing it.:smile:

dependable

I'm sure it has happened. Have never seen it myself in the dozens of chevys I've owned and worked on. Usually if they jam, it is the rod that goes from lock core to switch has been bent or jammed by someone trying to fix something else on steering column.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks