• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 is it worth putting a turbo on?

CUCVLOVER

[thumbzup]Are you the same guy that could not get the truck started yesterday in 30 degree weather? It is colder today then yesterday. I would put twin turbos on it and either injection with a super charger like the big trucks have. Then it will start and smoke the tires all at the same time. :driver:Look out you will go up one side of the road and down the other.
Ya I'm the same guy. I've never heard of either injection what is it?
The reason my truck wouldn't start was if it sat for 2 days below 32 ish it would wind over Like normal for about 3 revolutions and then the both batteries were on about 50 percent. I got a load tester coming should be here by tomorrow

CUCVLOVER

[thumbzup]Are you the same guy that could not get the truck started yesterday in 30 degree weather? It is colder today then yesterday. I would put twin turbos on it and either injection with a super charger like the big trucks have. Then it will start and smoke the tires all at the same time. :driver:Look out you will go up one side of the road and down the other.
Ya I'm the same guy. What's either injection?

Sorry for the double post.

Turbo Detroit

The truck in the video is mine...and the only way to even quiten the whistler down is with a muffler and that doesnt really work....the number of blades on the turbine hot side and the pitch of the blades give it that epic wail....lol but you could try...

victor3ranger

The truck in the video is mine...and the only way to even quiten the whistler down is with a muffler and that doesnt really work....the number of blades on the turbine hot side and the pitch of the blades give it that epic wail....lol but you could try...

Ok, I want to see the write up on this thing. I never want mine to be a hot rod or anything like that but I would like to have good pull power when pulling a trailer.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also a little bit off track but has anyone ever put water/methanol injection on a 6.2 turboed or not?

Water/Meth is used in some heavy towing and extreme power situations. I never went forward with it on my 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge. (488rwhp and 1178ft-lbs to the ground) It certainly could have used it. But in a 6.2/6.5 area, you're not (shouldn't) be fueling it that hard.

This is just my opinion. You could spend several hundred/thousand dollars on a water/meth setup for 6.2. You'd probably see a marginal improvement in the neighborhood of 5-10hp. But that's a ton of money to get little gain.

CUCVLOVER

Water/Meth is used in some heavy towing and extreme power situations. I never went forward with it on my 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge. (488rwhp and 1178ft-lbs to the ground) It certainly could have used it. But in a 6.2/6.5 area, you're not (shouldn't) be fueling it that hard.

This is just my opinion. You could spend several hundred/thousand dollars on a water/meth setup for 6.2. You'd probably see a marginal improvement in the neighborhood of 5-10hp. But that's a ton of money to get little gain.
Thank you.

trukhead

I have a 86 m1008 and I was wondering if a turbo is worth the money on these trucks. All I have done to the motor is true dual 2.5 in exhaust with no mufflers and I put a new air filter on that was the same as stock and I ran a hose from the inlet to a hole in driver side fender sort of behind the head light to get some cooler air.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks
Chase coker. :smile:
I have been pondering the same question. The solution for me would be a Cummins 4BT engine swap. It has more power stock, It can be modified easily and I heard it will rev to 3,200 and like it all day long. That is a perfect solution to a turbo 400 tranny and 4.,56 gears with stock or HUMMVV wheels and tires.

You can smoke the tires without a turbo just fine.

Use the brake pedal on deceleration, rather than the throttle pedal on acceleration.

Simple.
You, oH sage wise one always seem to have cost effective solutions to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks!

That truck in the vid is epic.
Is there a way to make a whistler turbo stealthy?
I always ask impossible to answer questions. But sometimes I find out the answers
Sure, change out the turbo to the; I believe it is referred to as the D turbo, it it seems to be as quiet as mouse farts.

The purpose of the C turbo and its installations is for the whistle! I would install the C turbo on the 4bt!! Pure whistlin Happy Happy Joy Joy! When a turbo is whistlin, it's makin Happy!

trukhead

Yours is a spectacular truck! The C turbo is perfect for the 6.2. It has a perfect whistle and the engine sounds like it has found a perfectly sized turbo! What a great mate-up!!:D

The only solution imo is to swap the 6.2 out for any years version of a big block chevy and then twin turbo that. Either a blow through or a draw through would work.

Not sure which design would work better for a FI motor but the 2001-2006 8.1 bbc is an injected motor that would be a plus.. The motor mounts and exhaust would be a direct swap as would the eng / bellhousing patterns.

spicergear

One of the diesel or 4x4 magazines did a test with a 6.2 build up and found that it is limited by the very, very poor breathing characteristics of the head design. It will only make so much power and that amount of juice isn't worth the squeeze. They're a good engine, but you will only get so far then that's it. Any big block would be fantastic, even a 366 or better 427 truck engine would be good as they'll start with roughly 50-80hp more. The truck engines are beefy with all five mains being four bolt, steel crank, heavy duty rods, four ring (diesel like) pistons. They don't make a ton of rpm in stock form because of heavier truck use, but are good engines.

I think a twin turbo set up is awesome (fun for bench racing, of course! :) ) but in just direct engine to engine comparison, you'll have more power, low octane fuel, more rpm available, more power, and no complaints on torque. The TD engine usually have better heads than the 454's too. A LOT of later model 454's have the peanut port nearly round small intake port where the TD's have the larger ovals. If you're in love with a supercharger idea, both mentioned engines are perfect candidates.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

OK.
Thanks all.
I may turn up the injection pump one of these days but I'm not really in a hurry.

I may end up with a 454 out of a 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 that my dad owns so I could put that in, if I get bord with the oil burner, one day after its rebuilt with a big eddlebroke a set of headers and what ever else I decide to put on it.
I thought about building a 6.2 with a twin turbo, cold air intake, injection pump cranked up, what ever I have to do to make the block hold up and squeeze every bit of power out of it.
Or I could put in a Cummins either a 6bt or a 4bt as long as I can make it get up and dance.

The 4bt would be interesting..Ive been looking for the correct clutch fork from one for months no joy this far but im not finished yet and dont give up easily.One of the reasons I dont feel the 6.2 or 6.5 is up to the chalenge of a twin turbo setup is the bottom end...I dont know for sure but I doubt that the mains are 4 bolt caps, Any BBC engine I would own would be a 4 bolt main block and would have 7/16 rod bolts as well as forged pistons, As thats what my M1028 is wearing.
OK. Thanks all. I may turn up the injection pump one of these days but I'm not really in a hurry.I may end up with a 454 out of a 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 that my dad owns so I could put that in, if I get bord with the oil burner, one day after its rebuilt with a big eddlebroke a set of headers and what ever else I decide to put on it.I thought about building a 6.2 with a twin turbo, cold air intake, injection pump cranked up, what ever I have to do to make the block hold up and squeeze every bit of power out of it. Or I could put in a Cummins either a 6bt or a 4bt as long as I can make it get up and dance.

Last edited:
One of the diesel or 4x4 magazines did a test with a 6.2 build up and found that it is limited by the very, very poor breathing characteristics of the head design. It will only make so much power and that amount of juice isn't worth the squeeze. They're a good engine, but you will only get so far then that's it.

I think a twin turbo set up is awesome but in just direct engine to engine comparison, you'll have more power, low octane fuel, more rpm available, more power, and no complaints on torque.
so more power with a tuned 6.2/6.5 heads twin small turbo than a 454? Or the other way around. Know of any twin small (3-4 l engine size) turbo conversions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks