• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 kicks off a helluva day!

Scarecrow1

DR I'm not on his back he was the victim here. I am mad at the people that would charge that kind of money to turn a wrench. I grew up like many here learning how to work on our cars. Only when they started cramming computers and EPA crap on the new cars and a failed spinal surgery did I take my cars to anyone. The reason many of us buy MVs is because of the simplicity and access to the problem. He was robbed plain and simple this wasn't rocket science just basic mechanics. That's all I meant by my statement .

iacucv

Yea I've replaced water pumps, main seals, done t case surgery and swaps, and a bunch of other stuff. Mostly when I had more time than money and a place to do it in. Wish I had the place to do it and I woulda found a way to get it done, but that wasn't gonna happen in a time frame I could live with. Oh well, it's just money right? If the shop didnt get it, Obama prolly would've!

iacucv

Scarecrow you also gotta remember its feb in Iowa, I believe it was about 15 degrees with a 30mph wind when it happened, just noticed your location. Would prolly be a much different story if I was farther south or it was April/may.

I agree, I feel like it wouldn't actually take 5 hours to change a water pump on anything...let alone be worth $500. The way they time auto repairs is ridiculous, something will book in at .8 of an hour, but in real life it takes double that, meanwhile something else will book at 5 hours and actually only take 3.

ryan77

DR I'm not on his back he was the victim here. I am mad at the people that would charge that kind of money to turn a wrench. I grew up like many here learning how to work on our cars. Only when they started cramming computers and EPA crap on the new cars and a failed spinal surgery did I take my cars to anyone. The reason many of us buy MVs is because of the simplicity and access to the problem. He was robbed plain and simple this wasn't rocket science just basic mechanics. That's all I meant by my statement .
Its called overhead!! Most repair shops have it! Taxes,tools,heat,electric,gas,etc etc etc.......

o1951

I agree, I feel like it wouldn't actually take 5 hours to change a water pump on anything...let alone be worth $500. The way they time auto repairs is ridiculous, something will book in at .8 of an hour, but in real life it takes double that, meanwhile something else will book at 5 hours and actually only take 3.
I agree - no AC stuff and no air pump junk in the way - unless the bolts were all rusted up and I broke some off, with my tools, unlikely it would take me much more than a couple hours to scrape off old gaskets, change pump and thermostat, flush, refill and bleed system.

BUT - If I was broke down in IA in February, with no enclosed building to work in, and no lift, and I need transportation quick, without my tools, I'd be thinking hard about having someone with a nice shop and tools do it too. Won't take long for rent car, and lost wages to eat up $500.

The conditions he stated left him little time to price the job out or negotiate. He has good idea of cost of an aftermarket pump with a lifetime warranty, and since he has changed water pumps, he knows what is involved.

Hopefully this thread is of value to others in the future.