• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 & M101A1 Trailer Wheels

M1008driver

I am wanting to swap the axle on my m101A1 trailer so it uses the same wheels as my m1008 truck. I am not finding any wheels and I am thinking custom on the truck leaving me 4 wheels for the trailer.

Any thoughts on the best way to do this? The wheels I find at the wrecking yard are in bad condition so far.

True Knight

Sorry I am of no help now, but I have been wanting to do the exact same thing using an axle with electric brakes so its easier to slow this heavy trailer.

M1008driver

I wish I could find 3 or 4 M1008 wheels. The axle is no problem. If I get custom wheels I can't use the trailer wheels as a spare. Probably never need too, but would like the capability.

True Knight

True. Ideally I want to swap the axle (or convert it somehow) to get some electric brakes and get another 4 matching rims and tires from my truck and then I'd be set with two spares!

pmramsey

Just go buy an M101A2 trailer. They are selling most weeks on GL in excellent condition with complete tarps and bows between $200 -$300. AND, finding one with excellent 16 X 85 X 235 tires is not difficult.

WARWAG

For minute there I thought you lost your marbles. All of my M101a1 trailers have the same rims and tires as my M1028. BUT then I remembered that one trailer I have in the corner. It has those HUGE 5 lug M37 type lug nuts and bolt pattern. You can do a couple of things. One is go on GL and buy one. They are going in the $400 range. OR you can measure your your M1008 rear axle hub to hub and order an 8 lug axle and swap it into your M101a1 trailer. I would go with GL first if your close to a base.

True Knight

Wow... I feel incredibly stupid... I'm going to blame it on lack of sleep. I completely overlooked the type of trailer, as I have a 105, not a 101... Either way i still need to swap the 105 axle for brakes and rims... Goodnight!

M1008driver

I am near a base, but they only had the 5 lug trailers right now. The last one went for $550 on the auction.

I have a friend that will buy the wheels because he has a M37. I am looking for some m1008 wheels if anyone knows where. Axles are easy to get here. If you don't get one of those trailers from the auction the price doubles to buy one.

True Knight

It is a beast! And it fits perfect behind my truck. I haven't had any trouble pulling it or stopping it with a light load, but i can feel it back there.

M1008driver: good luck with your search!

blybrook

I've done that swap on a M105. Gave myself a lower trailer with electric brakes and 8 lug wheels; had the same wheels as my DD, so I always had a spare (or two). There are a few threads in the trailer section about the swap.

I went with a 4" drop, Dexter 6k axle. Spacing was per information I found here (79" IIRC), but it could have been a few inches shorter without concern of rubbing.

I do NOT recommend the Dexter axle though. It was starting to bend after minimal use (3 runs with 3k lbs of water in the bed) and the company stated that I did not follow their recommended spring spacing causing the damage. The springs are at 44" O.C. if I'm remembering the numbers correctly, I can measure the original axle as it's still in the yard. It is NOT easy to relocate those springs, so the axle needs to be designed for the spring spacing as well.

I had a local shop rebend the Dexter axle back into true, then I put some gussets in place. I've sold the trailer to make room in the yard, otherwise I'd get pictures.

HTH

M1008driver

Will these wheels work and can I get them painted or powder coated black? I don't know much about wheels so don't rip my head off.

A SET OF 4 TAKE-OFF Metalic silver steel wheels. 4 WHEELS ONLY, NO CENTERS. The wheel is 16x6 1/2 with 8 on 6 1/2 bolt circle. This wheel is OEM 99 - 09 CHEVY SILVERADO GMC SAVANA TRUCK VAN OR SUBURBAN. They will fit 8 lug GM 1965-2009 2 and 4wd.

Attachments

Last edited:

blybrook

Will these wheels work and can I get them painted or powder coated black? I don't know much about wheels so don't rip my head off.
That lug pattern is correct for M101A2 / A3 and M116A2 / A3 trailers or just about any other 8 lug trailer axle. Center hole sounds correct as well since it is a GMC wheel for the Military trailers. I don't know about the back spacing requirements, sorry.

Don't know about the powder coating, that is something to coordinate with the local provider / supplier.

HTH

DrJekl

I am about to swap axles on some M105s myself and am going to buy a commercial trailer axle as blybrook did. Just using a 5200# or better straight axle. The axle swap and removal of al the air brakes will reduce the weight. If the end result is a 2K trailer then there is 1.5 ton worth of cargo weight available still.

blybrook

I am about to swap axles on some M105s myself and am going to buy a commercial trailer axle as blybrook did. Just using a 5200# or better straight axle. The axle swap and removal of al the air brakes will reduce the weight. If the end result is a 2K trailer then there is 1.5 ton worth of cargo weight available still.

Just as a heads up, check with the axle supplier on the spring spacing requirements for warranty purposes! I had the 4" drop, but the stock springs voided the warranty.

HTH

Bill