• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 M1028 Steering box brace.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Does anyone know if the military addressed the cracked frame issue caused by the over stressed steering box? I think I read somewhere (maybe a tb) how there was a retrofit kit offered for the military pickup (if so, how would I tell if my truck has it installed). Cant find anything on it in the TM's. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Shelter...You can usually tell if there's been a repair by any obvious welding behind/around the steering box.also,typical kits have doubler plates that reinforce the frame around the bolts that secure the steering box to the frame,and acordingly,longer bolts.
I don't have an answer as to the military having an organized frame/steering box repair strategy.It's likely they were repaired on an as required basis,just like civilian trucks.

kenny

Wow!! If you have a crack there you might want to look at your rear shock mounts,and the cross member and make sure they are not cracked also.

rockspider

I have the OffRoadDesign "steering box brace kit", it's an easy bolt-on and the parts fit is excellent. Very strong.
Also have installed the crossover steering (my M1028 is lifted about 4.5") and the steering feel is far superior than that of any stock GM steering of the era. My vote is 10+ on these. Recommended.

Dieselsmoke

M1028A1ShelterCarrier said:
Does anyone know if the military addressed the cracked frame issue caused by the over stressed steering box? .
Yes, Front Line Military Vehicles used to have the kits, not sure if they still do or not. They also have the frame reinforcement kit for the M1009 Blazer.

Croatan_Kid

If you've got at least 4" of lift, I highly suggest going with crossover steering! I even went a step farther and did hydro assist which is without a doubt the best steering mod ever :-D The bolt on brace is awesome too, but I had to do away with mine when I dropped the Cummins in there, they both wanted to occupy the same space. :roll: