• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008...needs some love

V8Astro

M1008...needs some love...now a turbo thread

Two years ago I got the truck after the #3 glowplug fell into the cyl. I took the head off, blew out the chunks and buffed the sharp edges off the piston. It's had a "clack" ever since. My guess is the wrist pin bushing got flattened or the piston is cracked or something. Either way it's been getting louder. I've probably put 10k miles on it with that noise.

I have a 6.5t in the garage from a 1996 C2500 with the DS4 IP with 130k miles. Unfortunatly I can't afford the DB2 "4911" pump ($975 locally!!!) for this engine. I don't want to bother swapping engines if I can't use the turbo. I'm thinking about taking the B1 head off again and replacing the #3 piston/rod assy. I found NOS parts on Ebay probably cost ~$150 plus the gaskets.

It would be a bummer if I get the whole thing apart and find out the crank is wasted. Then have to figure out how to install all the v-belt accessories on the 6.5. Would the 6.5 NA run ok with a 6.2 IP?

I'd like to keep my 6.2 eventually put the turbo assy on it. The "regular" 6.2 IP (whatever number it is) I can get for $325.

I've been parts shopping for two weeks but just can't decide what to do.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Yes it will run. You can use the 6.2 pump with the 6.5 and turbo also. Just adjust the fuel settings. Google or better yet you tube search. The adjustment is eZ to do.

dependable

I had a 6.2 that had sucked a glow plug that made a clacking sound. Replacing the piston and wrist pin did correct the problem. I put in a crank kit (re turned crank with matched bearings)and oil pump as well because the oil pressure was a little low and I had the motor out. Truck was only retired 10 years later due to rust, motor still running strong.

V8Astro

I've put ~10k miles on the truck with the piston like that. I haven't pulled a main cap but the rod bearing looks great for 100k miles

dependable

I did not bother to clean mine up, just replaced it, don't like to send the crew out with a rapping engine. It had the pattern of a glow plug end stamped repeatedly in piston, the end itself disintegrated. I think the wrist pin holes get slightly elongated when plug end is jammed against head.

V8Astro

I got all my parts ordered. New piston/rings/rod and gaskets for about $160. I also welded a -10AN bung in the oil pan for my future turbo. More pics to come

V8Astro

I have a complete 6.5T in the garage. I'm going to take the turbo stuff off it and put it on the 6.2. I got the right-side exhaust manifold off the 6.2 without breaking any bolts. I've read a few "6.2 turbo" thread but glossed over the clearance issue with the manifold to injectors. I tried to mock it up and thought "well crap so much for that". Then I read more carefully and realized it's not just me.

I don't like the idea of the manifold touching the injector line nuts. I scoured the internet and found this....
http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_flanges.htm

They sell a header flange for the 6.2 I'm going to use as a spacer. I called last night and they agreed to sell me one flange instead of a pair.

All my other parts showed up last night. Going to get the new slug in and the head back on....

dependable

Do the connecting rod bearings from other pistons show that much wear? If not, might be from the 10k miles rapping. It may be ok, but I would check bearing and journal clearance since it is out.

V8Astro

I was impressed by how GOOD the bearing looked. I guess after my experience with my turbo SBC that bearing looks good to me. Took me a few tries to get it right so I had the engine apart a few times. My SBC's would have that kind of wear on after a few thousand miles....but that had 18psi boost stuffed into it.

V8Astro

Excellent. Did the rap go away?
Sure did! When I exchanged my injectors the rebuilder pointed out that I had 7 6.2 injectotrs and 1 6.5 injector. Must have been a "repair" from a previous owner. I'm sure that was contributing to the lope it had at idle.

V8Astro

Here it is running in the garage. The video isn't very exciting (or good haha) but it was getting late and I was 3/4 sauced on Bushmills :) As soon as the weather gets better I'll have a video of it in operation.

thanks all!

http://youtu.be/wUR3LDzmQdE

dependable

Bushmills....sorta like Jamisons from a different side of the tracks? Tasty. Going to be a nice ride no doubt. Please don't drink that stuff when your driving it. & sorry for the lecture

V8Astro

Bushmills....sorta like Jamisons from a different side of the tracks? Tasty. Going to be a nice ride no doubt. Please don't drink that stuff when your driving it. & sorry for the lecture
Yep same importer I think. No sir, I stay put when I'm drinkin. My oldest brother learned that lesson for us....

Got the exhaust done today. I may be belly-achin to the wrong crowd but it's been 20°F all weekend here in the midwest. I used a couple left-over 3"mandrel bends and a new glasspack dumped in front of the RR tire. I post some pics later. Right now I need to thaw out!