• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Not Starting

ElsBenz

Here is the story. No previous starting problems. I went to start the truck and everything seemed fine until I tried starting it. I run a Fass electric fuel pump so I flipped it on. Sounded strong, truck was hot so no glow plug cycle. I turned the key and I heard a pop, with a faint smell of burnt wire when i jumped out of the truck to pop the hood...I decided to give it another try so I flipped on my pump and I immediatley noticed a drop in juice. Batteries are now very weak. When trying to start the truck I get clicking from the starter, or maybe it is the relay.

I drive this truck daily and go 25 miles at a time so it always is getting a good solid charge between startings. I am guessing something shorted and drained the batteries immediatly as opposed to only having enough juice for a single attempt. Last night I ordered a 24V starter from dbelectrical on ebay as suggested by others here. I will be rebuilding the original for a back up.

I will be looking at the relay first and replacing it if needed. Then on to the starter. Is there anything else I should be looking for while I am going thru this. Could a fuse be involved?

I also have never had to charge the batteries. I am guessing I disconnect the batteries from each other and charge them separately, or can I just put it on the front one and it will eventually charge both.

I know there are many threads on the starting issues but I have not found one with this exact circumstance so I am asking.

Any help will be appreciated.
If anybody is close and would lend a hand I would accept it. It is always nice to work with someone who has done this before.

Thanks!

beanman1

ok when charging the batts charge them seperately the loud pop could be a loose battery cable not making contact

if the starter relay inder the dash is bad it with eather cause the starter to keep running or it will not send power to the starter

also the loud pop could of been the battery blowing up check for cracks all along the batts (some expolde and some just make a loud noise and only crack)

Last edited:

JAsher45

check on the firewall there are some blue fuseable links that may have fried... also check your batteries you may have had one go bad. start small and work up from there

beanman1

o yeah i forgot about the fuse links but i dont think they make a loud pop when they go i may be wrong cause every truck is differant

OL AG '89

ditto on the loose connections to the batts....
I got to a store and the truck wouldn't start, hadn't shown any signs of weak or depleted batteries..... had to have son come and jump start...... 1st try it fired right up..... REALLY CONFUSED.....
I decided to go through the charging syatem and check batteries........ see below...

I made the mistake of "thinkin" I had tighten the front battery down after a little extended PMCS.
I had my son jump in and crank while I was checkin for a leak.....
The front post ...... more loose than tight...... literally shot flame about 3.5 to 4 inches up in the air....
I excused myself, went inside cleaned my underoos, and then made a note to self.....

IT SCARED THE LIVING CR*P OUTTA ME......... and yes there was a loud POP, or could of been my sphincter tightening then releasing...

bkwudzhom

Be sure to check the integrety of the terminals themselves, look them over when tightening them. I had one that was cracked from the bottom side. The crack was not visible from the top at all. It caused the terminal and wire to heat up and fail. Took me a while to find it because I didnt do a thourgh inspection.

Monty

ditto on the loose connections to the batts....
I got to a store and the truck wouldn't start, hadn't shown any signs of weak or depleted batteries..... had to have son come and jump start...... 1st try it fired right up..... REALLY CONFUSED.....
I decided to go through the charging syatem and check batteries........ see below...

I made the mistake of "thinkin" I had tighten the front battery down after a little extended PMCS.
I had my son jump in and crank while I was checkin for a leak.....
The front post ...... more loose than tight...... literally shot flame about 3.5 to 4 inches up in the air....
I excused myself, went inside cleaned my underoos, and then made a note to self.....

IT SCARED THE LIVING CR*P OUTTA ME......... and yes there was a loud POP, or could of been my sphincter tightening then releasing...
Now thats a funny post, but on a serious note I had my skidsteer battery blow up on me over the winter. It sounded like a 12 gauge going off behind me head. Scared the poop out of me thats for sure and stuck plastic from the battery case into my overhead door about 14 feet up.

If the cables are loose they will pop very loud , smoke, shoot sparks etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks