• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 possible purchase

original

Don't let low mileage fool you. Many of these trucks have set and idled night and day, only shut off to be refueled. They are all old trucks and need much attention. Try to find one for sale by owner and hope they have done some overhauling.

MT4222

When you buy one look at the wiring. If you see alot of new connectors and newer wires or alot of miscellaneous splices into the harness. Avoid that truck at all costs. If it has been convereted to 12 volt i would avoid it because most of the resources on ss would be useless for you. And you dont know how they converted it to twelve volt.

jeeplvr247

The harmonic balancers are not always the best on those trucks and some people have issues with the cast cranks they put in them. Also being an old diesel it may leak a lot of oil from the rear main. The cab corners usually rust out first so that is where you should check for rot.

Ken_86gt

Are you looking at buying one in Slovenia? If so- I would pay to have someone look it over for a second opinion. I think parts would be a problem for you.

chevyCUCV

80's chevy = rust , look very good and feel everywhere.

Dont worry about mileage, i dont think its accurate

Be prepared to fix everything. Be happy when you dont have to:D

baddy3

Some of them look good cosmetically, so it depends on how much you want to put in it, once you've purchased it. At the beginning expect around 1000 EUR and it's only beginning. Plan for an IP rebuild down the road as I am still to see one that does not need it (and I've seen many clean, rust-free trucks scraped in Bosnia just for a failed IP.)

I have one in Bosnia and I'm looking at purchasing another one to take to Finland, so do not be scared away by parts availability and such. Rockauto and LMC truck ship all parts no problem, you just have to plan your purchases to save on shipping.
I could even give you a contact of a mechanic near Krsko who knows them inside and out and can help with 24V system, alt rebuild, transmission repairs, etc...

Ken_86gt

Some general things that I would look at:
- truck starts easily when engine is cold and warm
- minimal exhaust smoke.
- remove oil fill cap when running to check for excessive blow by.
- the transmission shifts nicely through the gears
- tranny fluid smells good and not burnt.
- minimal oil leaks
- no fuel system leaks
- lights/turn signals work correctly
- 4 wheel drive functions without issues
- rubber window trim/dew wipes are good and not dry rotted.
- tire wear is even.

Jim Hunter

Thank you for your great help guys.

Yesterday I found in Slovenia an ex. US embassy M1028A2 with 28k on the clock for sale!
Looks to be in good shape and missing the front protection cover.
What is a fair price for this truck if it is in good condition ?

I will get some pics later today...

Jim

baddy3

This one?

www.Avto.net

Looks good, I would pay around 5000 EUR for the truck and the plow.
I don’t see what front cover is missing; I suppose you mean torque convertor cover. If it's missing it’s a good sign that someone tampered with the starter/flexplate and it was a chronic problem that they did not bother to put the cover back. Also check the IP return valve, if it contains debris that looks like coarsely ground coffee it means that the flex ring is disintegrating which is another argument for haggling. Have a look at the crank balancer, test the glow plugs, see if it still has a gp controller, check if it has some serious rust issues, etc…. Trust me, this site is your best friend in this adventure….. Mess

Jim Hunter

Yes this is it [thumbzup]
5k with the plow...My wife call him as I do not speak slovenian and says 8k !
It is amazing how they try to get an small fortune selling an truck!
M1008s in Greece are from €2 and up...
Do you spot any A2 at Bosnia or somewhere around for sale ?
I am trying to avoid to get one from Greece as there is no temporarily plates and the shipping cost is very high...

Rgds,
Jim

baddy3

It’s still lower than what they would ask for a similar truck in Germany.
Go and see it, I believe you can lower the price down to 5,5K, tell the guy about the starter, ip rebuild, point to rust areas, etc… show him the cash and if he’s totally adamant, tell him that you’ll buy one for that price in Bosnia, leave him your number in case he changes his mind and walk away.
I’m also looking for a M1008 as I really need a pick-up, but unfortunately I can’t find a decent one for a reasonable price. Most of the trucks are butchered beyond good taste or scraped for minor problems with IPs, vacuum modulators and such….

Jim Hunter

I found around 10 M1008s in a yard in Greece...
Some looks real good but the problem is that there is no keys an any of them!
Is there any trick to can bypass the ignition lock to start the engine but without to damage the lock ???

Thank you,
Jim

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, Jim, they all use the same key. Some folks think this is a security risk, so they re-key their own vehicles, but unless that has been done, all the keys are the same.

Lucian

Hi all I've been studying this site for a few weeks now and i must say very happy with the info and advice given here. I came across an M1008 here in Saint Lucia and i have essentially decided to purchase it. It used to be green but now white (mostly) it has rusted in a few places all except the at the cab corners under the hod has been fixed. It has four inch spacer blocks front and rear and a twelve volt starter.

The current owner purchased and not only never once ran it but doesn't know a thing about it. He says he changed at a cost of 6 25 US and the rims and tires at a cost of 1472 US. He is asking the equivalent of 3000 US for it.

I plan on using it to tow and carry equipment up to 12000 pounds. I know the recommended figure is no where close but i figure the 3000 pounds tow and the 2900 pounds payload is stated for off road use which is a totally different thing than highway use. I am also contemplating putting a dump body on it. possibly a hook lift. That thing has more chassis and HP than most light duty dump trucks. although much less of a suspension

The engine looks like crap and the guy says it has injector issues. comments and suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks