• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Project Fire Rescue

Shankem-Deep

I just scored a pretty decent M1008 fire truck! It's been a while since I've posted anything but I may need some help getting this rig going! It's a wiring nightmare at the moment. I don't believe it has been converted to 12v but not 100% sure yet. I just started working on it this evening. I'm starting by getting rid of all the wiring used for the fire equipment. The truck does turn over but you have to turn the key on and then push a button... Luckily I've got my M1028 to look at to help me get the wiring squared away. How about those custom flames! :LOL:

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks really good! Those 16.5 wheels with wide cross section are extremely hard to find! Nice upgrade.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Having access to another CUCV is going to be very helpful for your repairing or verifying what is original or modified. Hopefully the 1028 is an original truck and to be able to use as a pattern.

Hopefully you can continue to keep your truck as original as possible. Parts are still available but the door is slowly closing.
If you think that you need some things you might start to get those parts found and acquired. Good Luck

joshuak

[QUOTE="Shankem-Deep, post: 2297.... How about those custom flames! :LOL:
[/QUOTE]

This! Liberal use of sawzall is an added bonus.

Still looks like a great start, congrats on the score.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome back to the forum Darren. You still making rock sliders?
Nice score on the M1028. What are your plans for it?

Shankem-Deep

I worked on it some today and noticed it has a Napa ST88 GPR. I don't believe that will work. I've put the ST85 on my other trucks and the BWG S603 without issue. I'm going to do the Doghead mod and check my glow plugs after getting the wiring under control. I've got the batteries charging so I've got full cranking amps when I try to start it. Starter is the smaller gear reduction version and looks new. Does the smaller starter have a support bracket like the larger direct drive?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the smaller starter have a support bracket like the larger direct drive?
Yes the smaller starter is supposed to have a bracket. The newer style bracket is GM23502557. Those things are usually readily available on EBay. The bolt that holds the bracket to the block is M8 x 1.25 x 20mm. Use blue LokTite and a lock washer.
hope this helps.

cucvrus

FYI. You can use the old direct drive as a support bracket on the 28MT. Just install it on the block loose. Rock it back and forth over the support stud on the starter. Drill a 1/4" hole on the center of the flange/mark. And cut off the remaining lower hole and bracket. twice as strong as the one they sell for the 28MT. How do I know. I done it when I didn't know better and 28MT starters were new on CUCV's. I still have about 10 of the direct drive brackets I paid a fabrication shop to make for me back when every truck I looked at was missing the support bracket and heat shield. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Shankem-Deep

Worked on the truck some more today. I removed a lot more miscellaneous wires and installed a new GPR and starter relay dog head mod. The PO had installed a push button Glow Plug switch and also a starter button. You have to have the key in the run position and then push the starter button. There are 2 wires from the starter button. 1 goes to the back battery pos post and the other wire goes down to the starter. I want to do away with the starter button and use only the key to start it. I found the purple wire that should go to the starter has been cut and taped. I will splice back into it and run that down to the starter. I'll take some pics tomorrow of a wire that i'm not sure about.

Shankem-Deep

Can someone verify if this wire is used only on the M1010 or arctic kit? DC8C8AF0-2206-446C-90BB-C30D555F20B7.jpegF22777E3-E271-4CB7-B273-080297AF4A2A.jpeg

Also, there is a purple wire with stripe and solid purple wire plug that I’m not sure what it would plug into. It could be pink but seemed to be purple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks