• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Project Fire Rescue

Shankem-Deep

Shankem-Deep, does the truck still have the glow plug card under the dash?
Yes it does. The PO had a button wired in for the glow plugs but had a 24v GPR so I don’t believe the glow plugs were being activated. Probably why it wouldn’t start. Hopefully I’ll know tonight if that was the problem.

cucvrus

May I suggest converting it back to stock glow plug system. I have used it on every CUCV vehicle I owned for 25 years and just maintained things as the need arose. I don't recall having any real issues. Good Batteries and an easy starting CUCV are key to no starter problems. Have a hard starting CUCV and you are just looking for trouble. Maintain the stock systems and they will serve you well. Good Luck.

Shankem-Deep

May I suggest converting it back to stock glow plug system. I have used it on every CUCV vehicle I owned for 25 years and just maintained things as the need arose. I don't recall having any real issues. Good Batteries and an easy starting CUCV are key to no starter problems. Have a hard starting CUCV and you are just looking for trouble. Maintain the stock systems and they will serve you well. Good Luck.
Yes sir that was my 1st order of business to get everything back as originally intended. That’s what I did on my M1028 and it’s has been dead reliable.

Shankem-Deep

I hooked up the batteries and turned the key on, no wait light...I went ahead and tried to start it and it cranked over great but wouldn’t start. I tried twice before I got the idea of taking my glow plug card out of my M1028. I swapped it out and turned the key, wait light!! I cranked it and it tried to start but wouldn’t. I checked and made sure diesel was in the tank and tried again. It tried to start immediately but wouldn’t. I tried again but this time gave it some throttle while cranking and it fired right up! The bad news is it will not idle. It will only stay running if you keep your foot on the throttle. It is slow to rev if given full throttle and is also puffing out bluish white smoke... So, do you guys think I need an injection pump or do you think I might get lucky cleaning the check valve on the return line of the injection pump? Thoughts?

cucvrus

Do yourself a favor and replace the injection pump. Set you back $350. with gaskets but worth the effort. I see people always dancing around the injection pump replacement. it makes every CUCV better. It fixes a lot of ill's and makes the truck more reliable and easier to start. If the engine runs good and it has fuel issues that you suspect as injection pump. Get the pump rebuilt. Take Care and Good Luck.

Shankem-Deep

I took out the return valve on the IP today. Glass ball is still there. I cleaned it really well with carb cleaner and compressed air. I depressed the spring with the straw on the carb cleaner as I was spraying it. Small chunks of black stuff came out as I did this. Once it was clean I put it back in and the truck fired right up and idled perfect. I drove the truck a few miles just to see if everything worked and it did! I plan on taking the IP out this weekend and shipping it off to get rebuilt. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other major problems before I committed to taking out the IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks