• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 questions

Ronbo

Gentleman , I have a few questions about my truck . 1 does a standard steering column out of a 1/2 -3/4 -1 ton chevy fit/ work in these trucks.? also my dash lights never work and the blinkers sometimes work on 1 side any ideas? .. also is the heater fan standard and 12 volt? Thanks help is appreciated ..Me

kenny

"""fan 12 volt.""" the standard steering column should work,,,"""dash lights head light switch"""blinkers""" bulbs, Ground, or the blinker switch

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the first places to start with CUCV electrical problems is the fuse box.

After 25+ years of service, the box is usually covered in dirt and grime. Remove the battery cables, all the fuses and use some Electrical Contact Cleaner and some sand paper or file to clean the fuses (might as well replace them) and the fuse holders. I have seen many fuses melt and not blow because the contacts are dirty and allow the fuses to overheat.

The contacts on the instrument cluster are the same way. The copper corrodes and the bulb sockets dont make good contact. Use some steelwool and contact cleaner to gently clean them. A pencil eraser works great also.

I would guess that the dash lights and turn signal problem is the ground contact (#9 pin) on the cluster circuit board. I had to repair mine as the copper contact had torn off.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html

Make sure you look at the Diagram.txt file for an explanation of the circuit board contacts, wiring harness, etc.

The only parts on a stock truck that are 24v are the starter and the main feed for the glow plugs. The rest of the truck is 12v

Last edited:

deuceman08

have you ever seen or used the fuses that light up when they blow? i have them in my trucks and are nice and easy to use. about $28 for a kit that includes different sizes(about 30-35 fuses)

2deuce

My experience with the dash lights as well as the turn signals is that the bulb has a poor contact, especially if the truck has infrequent use or has been sitting. Same thing with the highbeam switch and light switch. Often just turning them in the socket works, but with the highbeam and light switch turn them on and off 50 times and they will start to work. The more use they get the better they perform.

Greg

sparky1

Gentleman , I have a few questions about my truck . 1 does a standard steering column out of a 1/2 -3/4 -1 ton chevy fit/ work in these trucks.? also my dash lights never work and the blinkers sometimes work on 1 side any ideas? .. also is the heater fan standard and 12 volt? Thanks help is appreciated ..Me
the columns may be physically the same however the military version allows the blinkers to operate with the key off.the civilian column is just the opposite

Ronbo

Thanks , it sounds like you guys with the how to do knowledge needs to write a book ! I appreciate the help.. I am sure I'll be asking some more questions.. Thanks

deuceman08

the loacl advanced auto parts around here has the kit and most part stores can order them if needed. no need to pull fuses anymore to check them, can just look at them and tell.

deuceman08

if you cant find them there just search "LED fuses" on a search engine and they will come up. jegs and other performance automotive places will have them also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks