• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 rear axle (seal replacement)

v12venator

I am assuming you use this instead of applying black RTV to the flange? Or addition to?
Am also interested in this. I have the new flange seals and was planning to add a small layer of red high temp rtv to both sides of the gasket when I finish up my brake job. But I will wait for the guru's wisdom before I pull the trigger.

cucvrus

Do as you wish. The gasket is light metal and when the hub and axle surfaces are clean and burr free the thin metal gasket does the seal. High temp is a bit over kill. But a little dab of sealer is a plus. No negative results. Actually a good back up. But never just sealer alone. Thank you. Take Care.

FrankenCub

When I did my rear brakes about 4 years ago I used the metal axle gasket, never leaked a drop without sealant on it.
Will be pulling mine apart again shortly to replace the hub seals again, only a month old and one is leaking. Going with the 2 piece updated seals this time.

cucvrus

Check where your seal is riding on the axle. That dirt imbedded grease and oil grease may have worn a groove. You will need a seal saver sleeve to go over that axle stub. These trucks have out lived the expected life time of most vehicles and require special attention and parts. Nothing any TM is going to cover. Good Luck. Be Safe.

FrankenCub

Check where your seal is riding on the axle. That dirt imbedded grease and oil grease may have worn a groove. You will need a seal saver sleeve to go over that axle stub. These trucks have out lived the expected life time of most vehicles and require special attention and parts. Nothing any TM is going to cover. Good Luck. Be Safe.
This seal design helps seal that area without having to use the sleeve. I believe the section that contacts that area remains still as the second part of the seal spins with the drum. The axle stub on mine does have a slight groove but shouldn't be enough to cause much of a problem, I've seen worse not leaking.
I figured it couldn't hurt to try the updated seals.