• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 rear springs removal. help

Dukeboy

I'm installing ORD's rear shackle flip, U-bolt flip kit, and wet bolt kit. The bolts for the rear shackles came out after much persuasion. The front of each leaf mount looks like a pita so I thought I would ask what tricks others have used to remove the bolt. I haven't been able to rotate the bolt like I was on the others before pounding them out, and even If I did I don't have access to the nut end of the bolt without removing metal. Option 1 is to cut an access flap on the inside of the frame and weld it back together on reassembly. If I can't pound the bolt free, I can cut it on either side of the bushing and work it free. Anyone do it another way? thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torch

Dukeboy

torch the bolt to free it to spin? did that.
torch an access hole on the inside of the frame? thinking about it.
torch the bushing, filling the garage with smoke? accidentally did that last time.
In any case your answer was short and to the point, I like it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive the bolt out, cut, drive more, cut, repeat.

DO NOT cut your frame.

You should be able to run a Sawzall on the inside of the bracket, and cut the bolt on both sides. Then the spring can drop.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My mental telepathy is cutting out today, so how did it go?

Dukeboy

I Won't be back at it for awhile, I'll update the results when I do.
I shouldn't of said frame, I was referring to the brace rivited to the frame that covers the nut end of the spring eye bolt.

Dukeboy

Finally got a chance to work on it again, started with a sawzall and then decided to try a cutt-off wheel which went much quicker. removed rust in the newly exposed areas, coated with rust bullet and now ready to reassemble with ORD's wet bolt kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks