• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 receiver hitch

Chevykev

Just finished receiver hitch, removable fog light, ( needed for UK mot test ) plugs in underneath. Bowtie blank.

Attachments

Jeepadict

Hitch looks great from here, nice work!

For my curiosity, I referenced Draw-tite's website to see what a hitch for an 86 K30 would rate at.

Class III/IV
Weight carrying
500 Lbs tongue
5000 Lbs tow
Weight distributing
800 tongue
8000 tow
Weight distributing
1000 tongue
10,000 tow

Class IV
Weight carrying
600 tongue
6000 tow
Weight distributing
1000 tongue
10,000 tow

Now with given the disclaimer that one should not exceed the rated GVWR stamped on the door jamb, I would choose to disregard the TM towing maximum references and I would refrence the towing capacities of the equivalent civvy units...and also take slight consideration for being a home-made hitch, I would be comfortable with using 80% of what a Class III/IV hitch would provide as the Mil bumper is 98% identical to the stock tow "steelie" bumper that was a factory available option.

My opinion, I think these numbers would be a conservative and safe operating condition for that hitch as pictured:

Weight carrying
500 tongue
5000 tow

Weight distributing
850 tongue
8500 tow

I'm sure some will disagree...this is just my opinion. Also, I'm willing to wager that if a guy would put 8500 Lbs behind a 6.2L it would be an awfully slow mover on the highway. I think that in a factory configuration the engine is the limiting factor in your towing capacity far more than what that hitch or anything else is capable of. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MarcusOReallyus

This can't be compared to a commercial hitch. That channel does not have the ability to resist much torque (downward force), so this hitch is entirely dependent on the stock bumper for its ability to hold up the weight of a tongue. It can't exceed the weight rating of the bumper, which is not exactly impressive.

It may possibly manage more pulling ability, but that doesn't really help the overall performance.

Jeepadict

This can't be compared to a commercial hitch. That channel does not have the ability to resist much torque (downward force), so this hitch is entirely dependent on the stock bumper for its ability to hold up the weight of a tongue. It can't exceed the weight rating of the bumper, which is not exactly impressive.

It may possibly manage more pulling ability, but that doesn't really help the overall performance.
Valid logic. If a guy were to piggyback, I'd suggest this that I just found on the 73-87 Squarebody page. You'll see it's the identical bumper as the CUCV bumper is but only chrome. Part numbers and ratings are stamped in as this is a factory tow bumper. A touch more conservative than my original comfort level. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Squibbly

If you welded a horizontal plate (or tabs) to the vertical one and bolted it to the frame you could handle the down pressure.
Here’s what I’ve got if you’re looking for ideas. The wasp nest is after market and DOT approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do find it interesting that the LMC step bumper is rated for 8k lbs which is much more than the m1008 bumper. I have this on a C20 I own and it is definitely lighter and less ridged than the oem m1008 bumper. Unfortunately the rating is what it is and has to be followed but I feel like the oem has been de rated from the actual capacity.
8EB280B8-CBCD-4D89-ABC6-8927C8660F10.jpeg

KallyLC

You don't need a fog light for the MOT if it was never fitted with one from the factory, though it seems to be one of those things that's a grey area and depends on if the tester decides to pick you up on it or not.

My 08 has no reversing light or rear fog and it wasn't an issue on the MOT, never has been for the previous owner either.

It also has a strange drop-hitch for a military trailer, added by a previous owner. I've unbolted the pintle as all it was good for was destroying your knees if you weren't paying enough attention. I don't ever plan to tow a trailer so I'm intending to cut all this off and return the bumper to stock at some point.
1646165763096.png

Chevykev

You don't need a fog light for the MOT if it was never fitted with one from the factory, though it seems to be one of those things that's a grey area and depends on if the tester decides to pick you up on it or not.

My 08 has no reversing light or rear fog and it wasn't an issue on the MOT, never has been for the previous owner either.

It also has a strange drop-hitch for a military trailer, added by a previous owner. I've unbolted the pintle as all it was good for was destroying your knees if you weren't paying enough attention. I don't ever plan to tow a trailer so I'm intending to cut all this off and return the bumper to stock at some point.
View attachment 860422
My mot guy is pretty good, but good to have just incase, hate the accessory type ones hanging down. Changed my hitch for similar reason, looked awful & stuck out way too much.

Attachments

KallyLC

I'd say yours looks way worse, the new setup is a lot tidier. I'm half considering just buying a new bumper if one comes up for sale as it'd take some serious work to get all the junk cut off of mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks