• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 Sparta

24farragut

just won a m1008 out of sparta, has anyone seen it, is it in decent shape? Looks great from the pics, but of course that means nothing. supposedly only 16k and change miles.

Does anyone know if it runs, its only 1200 miles from my house, so i figure i should make it home right????

Attachments

24farragut

yeah i thought it was an m1028 too, but they listed it as an m1008. I bought it on an impulse, as i always do, and didnt do any research on it. Just wondering if its in good shape or not. as long as its not rusted out i am happy.

ralbelt

Looks real clean from the pics, hope you have a safe recovery, plan out your route and try to get a few phone #'s from SS members just in case murphy tags along.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More often than not, the troop seats show up on the M1008 and M1008A1. The M1028's are shelter carriers and as such, can't use troop seats in their intended role. Not to say some GI didn't swap a set in of course. I wanted an M1028 but I'm kinda glad I have the M1008 now. I like the troop seats and the tie downs in the bed are a big plus, these aren't on the M1028s (according to the -10)

50shooter

Both trucks on this post look very nice considering they've been up north for 20+ years. I purchased two M1008's from up that way earlier this year. Both mine are rusted big time. The good news is the panels for this vintage Chevy are very easy to come by and cheap. Fenders $100 ish, fender wells $30, cab corners and rockers for under $30.

One of mine had the troop seats, rails, bows etc and was a M1008. I believe the M1028 has a Detroit in the front diff. too. Both mine do not have lockers in the front so they must of listed them correctly as M1008's.

I picked up my M1008 today, it's pretty sweet, but 1200 miles is going to be a real challenge. These trucks really do about 55mph, and the they sound like they are going to explode. My M1009 is a truck that I would drive cross country but the M1008 is geared so low, I would either trailer it or tow it.

Attachments

24farragut

dr greg, you bought that m1008 from sparta? Is it in good shape? I guess i overpaid, that sucks. How many miles does yours have on it?
I was gonna have it towed, but that will just add to the cost, so i might pick it up and just settle in at 50MPH and take my time.

24, I bought my M1008 at a GSA live auction this past Friday. No fees or EUCs so I was able to pick it up right away. It was a command/radio truck so it is in great shape. It has 84,000 miles on it, but I would guess they were easy miles. The troop seats need paint and I have to get a cargo cover, but otherwise it is good to go.
Good luck with your trip, keep us posted on your progress.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dr greg, you bought that m1008 from sparta? Is it in good shape? I guess i overpaid, that sucks. How many miles does yours have on it?
I was gonna have it towed, but that will just add to the cost, so i might pick it up and just settle in at 50MPH and take my time.
I wouldn't say you overpaid yet. Get your truck and check it out first. I paid more than that for my M1008 but I got it from a very reputable member and my personal friend and I knew going in exactly what I was getting. Picking it up was on a pre planned route so getting it home cost no extra. I had a title in hand before I even got the truck. What I spent in extra money I saved in multiple headaches and unknowns I didn't have to deal with. Maybe you paid more than some folks would have but you may have just bought the cream of the crop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks