• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Spartan locker install

biggestc69

After much debating and looking at my checkbook I decided to invest in a Spartan "lunchbox locker". It showed up today and I will try to get it installed tonight. Install seems pretty straight forward, the price was right and I don't have to pull the carrier and all that. If I get time I'll shoot some pics of the install and talk about any troubles that I encounter, which hopefully will be none, knock on wood. And of course after that there will be some testing and videos! Wish me luck!

biggestc69

I was gonna take photo's of the install but honestly it went so fast and easy there wasn't much to write up photograph. The only problem I had was with removing the cross pin. With the lower gears one of the ring gear teeth wont allow the cross pin to slide out. So I was left with the choice of remove carrier, which I am pretty rusty on as far as backlash and all that. Or lovingly kiss that one tooth with the grinder. The second option won out. The Spartan design of having wire retainers to hold everything in place is awesome and makes install very easy. We went to test it in my buddies field and with the hubs locked in and turning you couldn't hear any, clicking, popping banging that some people complain about. Of course the diesel drowns out alot to. You could feel a little resistance in the steering but nothing bad. Just enough to let you know it was there. As for off road, this thing is a whole new truck. It will climb near vertical hills without even spinning a tire. Last night it was getting late, but within the next day or so I will see about getting some pics and videos up showing it in action.

vinny-socom1

nopics

I can give you a pass on the install but then you talk about the offroading with no pics too.... You need to do it again and take pics this time!:p

Vinny

biggestc69

As of right now they are 34x10.5x16 Super Swamper LTB's. They do good but this is my daily driver and I have to rotate them about once or twice a month because that rear Detroit makes quick work of them. In all this they are aired up to 40lbs and performed flawlessly. 35" or 36's with some new rims are in the near future.

biggestc69

Couldn't get the video's to load so this is the only way I can think of to do it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDdZDPKh6Rc&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmI3MWjDO-U&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHO8vWQtIC0&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3R5M1JVCU&feature=plcp[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dZerJwfmI&feature=plcp[/media]

2002ford

I had a Detroite ez locker in my CJ. It made a huge difference offroad but it would disingage while driving down the highway. It made for some scary moments. Lol. I hope this is a better desighn. Nice truck.

TCUCV

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the locker? I'm looking at putting a locker in my d60 M1008 as well but was thinking eaton e-locker, ox locker or detroit. After reading your respnse for installation being pretty easy and happy with it offroad, I think I'm going to take a look into these real soon. Did you have to purchase any other pieces to install the locker or did it come with everything needed? Nice truck by the way:beer:

Last edited:

TCUCV

Oh forgot to ask, how does it drive on the street with the locker in there now? I imagine with the hubs unlocked it shouldn't have any affect. Thanks,

biggestc69

I paid around $350. I ended up getting it through Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Lowest price I could find and I got it in three days, not too shabby. I looked at all the locker you listed above. All are great lockers but these are the reasons I went with the Spartan. E locker-expensive and you have to be careful when routing wires. Ox locker expensive and when set up properly is great but even then there are times when the cable gets out of adjustment. Which leads to my favorite the Detroit. Very tough but it replaces the carrier which means you have to setup your ring and pinion. Which I used to do on the regular in the Army, but with my shakey hands and the meds I'm on and arthritis it makes using a dial indicator a nightmare. I've never seen this but I have heard that if you snap and axle with the Detroit alot of the time the Detroit will break too. This is why I started to look at "lunchbox lockers". They replace the spider gears so you dont have to reset the ring and pinion. The problem is that they are only as strong as the carrier in your axle. If your running a 10 bolt it will be considerably less strong then if it were in a Dana 60 due to the size of the carrier. The carrier in the 60 is pretty massive. I've done hours of reviews with the guys on pirate4x4 and ck5 and have heard really good things about them. There are three big names in the lunchbox locker game Aussie locker, Lockrite and Spartan. Aussie to what I have found doesn't make a Dana 60 model. Lockrite got some good reviews to but the Spartan comes with a new hardened cross pin. So thast why I pulled the trigger on that one. It came with everything I needed directions where a little lacking. If you want I can send you the links to some other sites that helped me with my install. Not sure if posting links to other sites is allowed on here. Thanks for the compliment on the truck, its a labor of love.