• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Starter Issue

steve9257

Greetings from Tennessee. Just purchased a M1008 from GL. When I picked up the M1008, the battery appeared dead. No problem, used a UN slave cable and jump started vehicle with no problem. Drove the truck home and did not turn it off until she was parked in the drive. Good thing. After I turn it off, she turned over very slow. So I fully charged the batteries and tried again. The starter turned even slower. Order a new starter and installed it. Now the weird part. The starter immediately turns over when I reconnected the battery. Suspected the relay so I replace it. Same problem. I then removed the starter relay completely and the darned starter stills turns over as soon as I connect the battery. Any ideas?? Perhaps a bad starter????

Last edited:

steve9257

Yes sir. Replaced the relay and encountered same problem. I then removed the relay (no relay was installed) and tried to hook up the batteries again. Same problem. I then removed the relay wire from the starter and the starter did NOT attempt to turn when I attached the batteries. Not sure what is going on but it looks like their might be a short in relay wire that is coming in contract with something hot. Not sure what to do next. - Thanks for your assistance.

steve9257

Bingo. You found the answer. That problem is corrected. However, I still have to jump (with NATO cable) the M1008 to get it started.

The new starter (just like the old starter I just replaced) turns very, very slowy without the jump. With the jump it fires straight away. I check the batteries and they are at full charge.

It it possibly a grounding issue?????

Thanks guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely sounds like you have either a bad cable(battery to buss-bar/terminal bars), or a bad battery. Have your batteries load tested.

Last edited:

mboswell

Batteries can be bad even though they show having 12+ volts. One of them there batteries r probably not doing so well. The fact it will crank with a jumpstart kinda says that 2 me. That'd be my primary suspect if were my cucv. For what its worth :wink:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Boy IRWFO, next time I have an electrical issue, I'm towbarring the 1009 to NYC. Reminds me of the best commo sergeant I ever had (except she was a CPL then but last I saw a SFC) she could tell you what was wrong with your radio everytime, all the time from miles away. My radio might be down and she would know who I was near, call their commo guy on their net and tell him to tell me that my radio was down (if I didn't realize it already) and that I needed to do...whatever. Awesome Soldier.

steve9257

ALRIGHT!!!! She's running. Here's what I found. I discovered a wire that attached directly between the 24 volt bar and the ground bar. Didn't think it should be there (it appeared to be a fused wired wrapped in black electrical tape) so I removed it. Once I removed the suspicious wire everything seems to be ok. The trucks starts, the lights work, all is well. You guys have been great. Thanks to all for your assistance. ANy idea what the purpose of the wire might have been? Just curious if someone might have diabled the truck on purpose or perhaps ???????

Last edited:

steve9257

Yes. I cleaned the battery posts and clamps. I also installed a different set of batteries. In addition I checked the tech manual and found the "suspicious wire" is a suppressor for the radios. Thanks again. - Steve

Shanahag

ok i am having serious issues with my m1008. somone has to be able to help me out!>!?!?!?! starter went bad so replaced it. worked for a bit then it was sticking open. changed the relay and it ran for a bit and then i let the truck sit for 5 or 6 days went out to start and got nothing. tried it again and my relay sizzled. opened it and it was welded at the points. looked over the wires and found nothing. new relay and did the same thing. then i found my small wire on my siloniod was off. put it on and its doing the same thing. every relay i put it i fry. someone please help me. i dont know like anything about this truck i have the book for it but still am lost. HELP

Shanahag

i put a gear reduction starter in it.
i seriously need help. also can anyone explain to me in detail how the relay works and how i can avoid the relay with a switch of some kind. how would i hook up a switch would that be the way to go? please help haha

IRWFO

Do a search on this site and there is a detailed thread on how to switch over to a HD solenoid instead of that light duty relay.

Also you are one of many that have put in a GR starter and now had relays burn out. Since doing the trick I have not had any problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks