• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Starter sticking issue

Thomas_G

I have a new starter installed it and had it stick on (with key off even), quickly disconnected the batteries but hopefully didn't damage anything? The solenoid was hot (temp). Only thing I did was remounted it. Is the doghead mod the fix?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had exact thing happen about a week ago

Turned out it was a bad brand new 24v solenoid

Installed new one 24v
Problem solved

I had already completed the doghead mod before this happened

cucvrus

his can also be caused by the starter engaging to hard into the teeth of the flexpate/flywheel. Check your engagement. That is why shimming is required on some so it does not engage into the gears/teeth so hard that it can not freely disengage. No modification can prevent that from happening. That is just basics. Once it is stuck out ther the solenoid is locked in place and it will crank till disconnected or it burns up. Hopefully that is an easy fix. Best way to check is remove the bottom cover and solenoid and manually engage the starter and check the depth. They have procedure in the manuals to cover this check it out. I can't get into it that deep here at this time. Good luck.

Thomas_G

I'll try inspecting the solenoid, all i did was remove starter down, then back on, then when i went to turn key, nothing, but when i turned dampner over it started cranking, i disconnected batteries and cables, solenoid was really hot, i'm going to see if i can get the starter under warranty fixed and do the relay modification for upgrade to the truck.

Thomas_G

i pulled plate down and no damage or irregular teeth wear. everything looked good. i Have new starter bolts and the straight bracket on front being used since original one will not work.

cucvrus

If the starter is engaging into the flywheel to deep it will get stuck there and keep cranking. You need to check if you need a shim on the starter to get it farther away from deep engagement of the ring gear. You do not need to modify anything. You need a good operational correct 24 volt starter and one that has the proper mesh with the ring gear. Even with any modification you do if the starter gets stuck in the gears it will keep turning. I hope I am being helpful. I am trying to be. Take my word you don't need any changes. The starter is the issue be it defective or need shimming. Fix that issue and you are good to go.

dependable

If this one sticks and cooks also, then you could try the "doghead modifiacation", which is simply replacing a weak relay with a better one. The original relay was just a heater control relay, a testament to how cheaply GM wanted to fill the contract.

If starter gear binding is the problem, do you have correct starter motor support bracket ?

Regardless of your current problem, you should upgrade the 12/24 start relay under the dash. Failed on me in two trucks, and the cheap replacement of original part is only good for a dozen starts before it sticks on.