• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 starter

rednckii

put a new starter in my truck now every now and then its like its not engaging alll the way. Will spin but not catch the flywheel what could be the cause of this. If i continue to use this way will it damage anything, saw on here somewhere said it is a realy. Where is it located and what part number so i can try that fix. Thanks for the help.

m38inmaine

The relay is located behind the diagnostic connector, remove the two screws holding it on and if I recall a third screw to the left of it, the starter relay(silver box)and two black relays will drop down on a bracket. I bought one of the new starters on ebay from db electrical and it lasted 3 days and fried. Sometimes you have to shim a starter to get it aligned properly. Also make sure the front support bracket is on the starter otherwise you will break starter bolts or worse the engine.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cracked flex plate - it will 'flex' making starting difficult

Also, are BOTH of the bolts that hold the starter in place ACTUALLY THERE AND HOLDING THE STARTER IN PLACE?

If you are missing one, it might start, it might not. If they are both there are they both tight? Also are they the correct factory bolts or just a replacement? The correct bolts stretch just a little.

rednckii

Both bolts are in and yes it is in all the way. Was going to try and shim it but seems this is common on these trucks will check the relay tonight if get a chance thanks for the help will keep ya posted.

M1008driver

This sounds like your flexplate and if you don't fix it the starter will get stuck on the bad spot and not start at all. I just changed my starter for a gear reduction model and now have to change the flexplate. If my new starter hits the bad spot again I am stuck. There is a guy on ebay selling them or you can get one from autozone for not much more.

I got the ebay flexplate today and it a good-to-go. There is some work on changing the flexplate, so you only want to do it once. $315 labor at a local transmission shop if I don't attempt it myself.

[thumbzup]

EDIT- When you changed your starter did you change the brace? The new starters use a different brace.

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (auto parts or hardware store)
(8mm x 1.25 bolt, 20mm long with a 13mm head)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

I can't believe I even have a clue what I am talking about...the forum provides all the information if you read long enough. The rest is up to you.

If i continue to use this way will it damage anything
YES

Last edited: