• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 starting issue/ filter options

lincolntwilliams

I just picked up a 1986 M1008. It did cold start really fast, faster than any vehicle I've ever owned. I ran it just for a few minutes one day and then the next I had to crank on it for nearly a minute before it would light. Once it did start it ran flawlessly, and restarted as it should with just a blip of the key.

I checked the GP relay, 24v in 12 out to the GPs. The glow plug light come on and goes off. I can hear the relay cycle and verified it with a multimeter.

After looking on here I'm guessing it is the fuel pressure switch in the fuel filter housing. It has all the symptoms. I cant see any fuel leaking but some times thats the case right? What should be my next move? Spin on filter water separator? Spin on filter/water separator in tandom with another fuel filter? Or just a new stock filter and get a new switch?

Or should I be looking for something else?

After cranking for a minute or so yesterday the truck finally started, my gen lights were on as usual but when I tapped the accelerator only the Gen2 light went off. the Gen1 light stayed on. I thought that maybe the batteries were just low and if I drove it the light would go back out. Anyone confirm my suspicion? Or do I have a new problem?

Wildman

Did it start and then die the time it took a long time to fire?

That is the normal sign of a bad filter housing. Start, run for a few seconds and then die. Followed by lots of cranking to get fuel back to the IP.

Yours sounds more like no glow plugs on the long start up attempt. These engines need glow plugs to start when they are cold. Even on a 100 degree day here in Texas, a 6.2 will not fire without a lot of cranking.

Think glow plugs first and then work on getting a spin on fuel filter because sooner or later you will need it.

Start by checking your batteries. Do a load test and verify they are good. Then, follow the steps in the -20 for checking your alternators.

Barrman who saw this while getting Colton set up as a member.

Wildman

I think you have a glow plug issue with fuel filter base a close second.

The alternator issue is probably a separate problem. Check your batteries by load testing them and then follow the steps in the -20 for diagnosing alternator issues.

Barrman who saw this while helping Colton set up an account.

lincolntwilliams

It will act like it is going to start, say maybe light for one or two compression strokes then die. Then crank and crank and crank till she slowly gets going then idles perfect.

Skinny

I had a great fuel base that worked great (except for the water sensor). It did leak from the filter drain slightly. I could have thrown a dollar worth of o-rings on it and called it good. I decided to do a spin on to bring it in the 21st century. I also wanted a choice of micron rating so I can do a primary and secondary setup. The box filter does not have this option.

I will say this about the box filter. It is easy and clean to change with the drain and bleeder arrangement.

I have my old one if anyone wants it. Thirty bucks plus shipping. Has a brand new filter with maybe 200 miles on it.

lincolntwilliams

It will act like it is going to start, say maybe light for one or two compression strokes then die. Then crank and crank and crank till she slowly gets going then idles perfect.

with that info does it still sound like plugs? I guess i'll end up swapping everything out anyway.

where does the pressure switch leak from? where the wires come out of the base?

lincolntwilliams

with that info does it still sound like plugs? I guess i'll end up swapping everything out anyway.

where does the pressure switch leak from? where the wires come out of the base?

trooper632

I picked up a new to me, m1028 the other day and it was leaking fuel pretty bad at the filter. Got to looking and found out it was leaking from a broken 0-ring at the pressure switch. Didnt have a o-ring so i plugged the hole behind the switch with a plunger off a 1cc syringe. put pressure switch back in and stopped the leak.

Barrman

Blue smoke out the exhaust pipes while cranking means fuel but no heat. Are you getting any smoke at while during your extended cranks? If you are getting smoke, glow plugs are your problem still.

By the way, if you are cranking more than 10 seconds at a time and not letting the starter cool some, you will probably be left sitting at a fast food drive thru or bank window one of these days.

As far as the fuel filter base goes. There are many threads on here about the problem and fixes along with pictures. If you pull it off, you will see the problem area.

troll

Sounds like the lift pump is going south. My 09 had the same symptoms until one day it cut off after a cold start and wouldn't restart. New pump solved the problem. The IP still has fuel in it from the last time it ran- the fuel bleeds out of the filter back into the tank and that is why it starts and then cuts off. Simple fix- $30 pump and 1 hr. labor.

lincolntwilliams

Another thread that was never finished....Did you figure out and fix the problem?
Dang it! You're right, I hate when the thread goes dead and there is no resolution. Yes I solved the problem. Did the the spin on filter, and wired in a new pump. Mostly just followed what other folks did on here. Wired a switch under the hood that is powered with the key on so thAt if the mech pump dies I can run the e-pump. I added a small brass Home Depot petcock to the filter base for super easy priming. I think all in all I had just under 200 in the fix if that matters to anyone.

Shankem-Deep

Thanks for the update! I try to exhaust my search before I start a new thread on a problem that I'm sure has been covered. I keep coming across threads that have never been finished, so it ends up being a lot of searching without a good resolution. Thanks again for the update!

usmcpatriot

Check and do the regular mods suggested by the oldtimers, my suggestion from experience is to get rid of the old coffin fuel filter. Add a spin on fuel filter with water separator. Also check the sending unit they get dirty with these old trucks. Good luck bro!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Stanadyne FM100 is an excellent choice for a spin on base. Fits in the stock location with minimal mods, has a plethora of filter options and the base is modular so you can add heaters, water sensors and priming pumps etc. I bought bases from Gimpyrobb and enough filters to last a lifetime for my 3 6.2 powered trucks.