• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 still pulling to the right

84cucv1ton

the 60 has new kingpins, shocks, stabilizer, calipers, hoses to calipers, tires and wheel bearings. what else could it be? im stumped.. thanks

richingalveston

check to make sure you do not have a bent rim. and of course make sure you get a computer wheel alighnment. excessive play in the steering box and tie rod ends can cause bad steering also but it will typically pull in either direction when these are bad. one other thing is to make sure the brake lines are bled properly, if one caliper is making better contact due to air in the line or because it is not sliding in the mount propperly it can cause pulling but this will most likely be when braking. check your new calipers to make sure they slide, if it is sticking, it can cause one side of the pad to stay engaged to the disc even when not braking.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let a princess borrow my civi truck one day and she hit a curb with the back diff going around a corner. It moved the left side of the diff back enough to make it feel like the front was pulling to the right.

We pulled tape measures from tire to tire, tire to frame rails, cross-measured, side measured, frame to ground measurements and finally unbolted the rear diff and bolted it back up. It was a little difficult to see the difference of the wheel alignment in the wells but the tape measure said something was out 1/4 of an inch.

Parking on a flat surface and running a tape measure can often tell the story. Good luck!

GHall

Jack up the front end and use jack stands. Wiggle the wheels back to front and see if there is any play. Repair if necessary..

V8Astro

Also check make sure both front leaf spring packs are the same. This same issue had me running in circles on an F350 once. Different rate springs caused it to dive to one side under braking

GHall

Also check make sure both front leaf spring packs are the same. This same issue had me running in circles on an F350 once. Different rate springs caused it to dive to one side under braking
Very good point.. Maybe a re-arch would be a good idea at some point. You would probably need another alignment after.

jgb680

I have the same problem in my m1008. All the steering parts are new and it still pulls to the right. I took it to a local and reputable alignment shop. They told me I need a new steering gear box. They said that when you get in the truck without it moving and the motor running it is a little easier to turn left than it is right, this is noticeable once they pointed it out. They said this means that the valve inside the box that lets fluid go one way or the other is sticking, letting a little more fluid go to the right side which makes it pull to the right going down the road In a straight line. They also told me that eventually the steering box will get to where when you are turning left that it will feel like I have no power steering, but this could take a very long time. I have just decided to live with the slight pull for now.

jgb680

Also, my truck has been doing this the entire two years that I have owned it, I haven't noticed that the pulling to one side has gotten any worse. I have put about 5000 miles I the truck.

edpdx

I recently had my Blazer on the rack for a look at the Transfer Case. While it was up there the NAPA mechanic pointed out signs of an oil leak at my drivers side brakes. He asked me if I had noticed the truck pulling to the right when I brake. I had; but never got around to troubleshooting the problem. He said he bet the wheel cylinder is leaking and causing the pull. He also made it clear that it was a serious. "When it gets icy, that pull will put you into a slide or spin".

Skinny

Pay the money an have someone with a computerized alignment machine run the numbers and get a printout. Even if you have no issues, it is a great baseline for the $50 it will cost.

Also try rotating the tires side to side and see if it changes. Everyone on here has pointed out great items to check. Steering pull...always a fun game to play ;)