• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008, Th400 Transmission swap

Skinny

Not sure about the output shaft being compatible with an NP208 (should be) but you won't have park unless you are going to intall the necessary components.

Skinny

Better off, you know what you have. If you pull it yourself, won't cost that much to rebuild as long as there is no internal damage to hard parts.

Nowhereman

You are correct Sir. I lost 2nd and 3rd gear while coming off the highway at 65 mph. I pulled the pan to find a powder like residue along with some metal bits. I sure hate that it happened. But on the flip side that will be one less thing that I will have to replace.

Skinny

I'm not of you technical skills but a TH400 is not exactly a hard trans to rebuild. A novice with a few special tools (micrometer, dial indicator, and dial torque wrench) along with a good manual can rebuild one all day long. It's the guys that simply pull it apart and replace the soft parts that worry me. Consider doing it yourself if you have the tools and time to take on something like that.

Another thing you may want to do is do a pressure check to make sure it was the clutches failing which left you without 2nd and 3rd gear and not a hydraulic issue coming from the valvebody.

Nowhereman

I checked everything, it has a new vacuum pump, checked pressure regulator, Modulator and transmission governor. when it down shift it spit up transmission fluid out of the dip stick tube. The transmission was not over filled with fluid . I know someone that does a good job at rebuilding them so I'm gonna let him do a bench job on it. as far as taking it out and hooking it that will be my job.