• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 to pull my m1009?

Hey yall, currently I have an 09 that I drive daily and all around.
Anyhow I miss my 08 for a work truck and for pulling farm eq around when needed. I am thinking about finding me another m1008 in better condition than my previous one. Has anyone had any experience flat towing their m1009 with their m1008? Reason I ask is I will be headed back up to Vermont from Ohio this fall and would want to have both trucks with me. Ive toyed around with getting a newer non green truck but something about that idea doesnt feel right.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat ground should be a non issue. Hills will be not be.fun. As long as you're not expecting to pass traffic, it will work.

Ye I wouldnt be expecting to pass much of anything. In terms of handling and braking safley though I shouldnt have a problem? I havent ever flat towed before so I wanted to make sure.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You'll get there eventually. Braking should be ok and handling too, as long as the blazer is in good shape (which it is). I had a parts rig with steering problems that was not fun to flat tow.
Putting the blazer on a trailer would be my first choice because of the better handling and braking. As Kenny said hills are no fun!
DSCN0800.jpgDSCN0796.jpg

Barrman

The M1009 will follow along just fine if the tires are aired up. I would suggest pulling the rear drive shaft. I know the TM says just put the transfer case in neutral. However, for maybe 5 minutes with a 7/16" wrench and a bit of bailing wire to hold the still in the transfer case shaft up out of the way. You will get a lot of peace of mind and no chance of the shifter engaging on a bump.

Awesome pictures thanks, if I had a trailer I would use one. Ill add that to the list of things I need. If I do end up flat towing it, I will definitely disconnect the rear DS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks