• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 towing M1009?

a175

Yep. I know that sounded pretty retarded.
What I meant was without the aid of any type of trailer or tow bar.
When you say dolly, you mean like the things they slip under the wheels to move it around a body shop, or something else?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helium balloons?

How far do you need to move the truck?

ralbelt

I believe he meant one of the two wheel dollies that you can rent from uhaul. You will have to have a ball hitch on the m1008 to attach the dolly to.

a175

I guess the easiest route would be finding someone that would loan a tow bar. But... that would be way too convenient and make way too much sense for me I suppose.

91W350

See if a member near you has a tow bar. The medium tow bar works great for towing. 20 miles? A nylon strap and a buddy can get that done. The M1008 is a less than 50 mph truck anyway. If you we're in my neighborhood I would do it for you just to help out. Glen

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep. I know that sounded pretty retarded.
What I meant was without the aid of any type of trailer or tow bar.
When you say dolly, you mean like the things they slip under the wheels to move it around a body shop, or something else?
Dolly as in tow dolly, based on what you said the only option you have is a strap, or chain, Not Recommended for public roads.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the easiest route would be finding someone that would loan a tow bar. But... that would be way too convenient and make way too much sense for me I suppose.

So, if you need to borrow a towbar for a day, it sure would help if we knew where your located. What town/state are you in?

Worst case, I would think you could hire a local rollback for $100 or less for such a simple haul.

91W350

If he kicks the transfer case in neutral, it should be fine for 20 miles. I towed my M1008 over 700 miles with the T-case in neutral and shafts in. Towed it with a deuce, so my ground speeds were not outrageous. His should not be either with the M1008 pulling a M1009. Mine did fine. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks