• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 towing

1badeagle

Hey guys, I have been reading up on the m1008 rigs the last couple of Weeks. I found one a member of the site has for sale that I want badly. It has low miles and already has h1 wheels and tires on it I have planned. I figure the 37" tires have raised the top speed to near 70 mph.

My question is, I plan of towing my racecar on an open trailer about once a month. The combined weight will be around 4500 lbs. How horrible will this be to pull this in central Ohio? I will be towing less than 20 miles one way. Will there be any chance of 55mph pulling this? I plan on swapping on a j code intake and eventually a banks kit and a 700r4. Let me know what you think.

Dustin

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should not be an issue. Acceleration will slow but 55 should be no problem. Unless someone has taken it, it came with a J intale. The Oh-8 and the 700 are a match made in heaven.

richingalveston

2500 hemi and 1008 not really apples to apples

The 1008 will not be anything like the hemi.
An 80's truck complared to a 2000 truck just wont be the same. and not as safe because of braking system, sway bar system etc. on the newer vehicle.

At the weight you plan to haul and the distance you plan to do it, go with the 08 because you will have more fun for the money.

The larger tires will kill the 08's towing performance with heavy loads. 4500 is not a heavy load for an 1008. If you plan to run the larger tires and still tow heavy loads, spend the money on a 4l80e and a trans controler vs. replacing the t400 with a 700r4.

If your tow is only 20 miles keep the t400 and go slower. your towing a race car, why not save the need for speed for the track.

no matter which trans you use plan on adding a trans cooler for towing.

1badeagle

I knew that it wouldnt tow as nicely as the hemi does, I was more worried about power wise. I have pulled the same trailer and car with my 95 tacoma v6. I just want a heavier truck for the long run of things.

True Knight

I agree with the 4L80 route. The 700r is like a TH350 but with an overdrive. The 4L80 is like a TH400 but with an overdrive. Especially if your planning on heavy towing, go for the stronger trans. And no matter what trans, get a nice trans cooler.

1badeagle

I would love to run a 4l80 since thats what I but for my racecar. I dont want to mess with a controller for it. I would love the NV4500, but I need to find a thread with a parts list for the swap. My father is friends with a junkyard owner so I can usually get a good deal on parts.

Atwater

if you dont mind rowing your own the nv4500 is great.
there is really fairly little cutting or drilling necessary.
the nv4500/np208 combo is within .250" of the length of the 400/np208 combo. no need for new drive shafts.

True Knight

The controller is easy to use. Just expensive. Someone posted a link about a week ago to a new painless wiring brand trans controller that cost less. Also you can try to find the factory stand alone controller and wiring out of a stock 6.5/4L80 combo truck. Maybe your junkyard guy can help finding that.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For less than the cost of a controller you can build a stout 700 and benefit from the 3.06 first gear. The 6.2, even with a turbo, doesn't have the power to hurt it. Not throwing stones at the legendary 4l80e just pointing out that its more than you need and that = more money.

1badeagle

For less than the cost of a controller you can build a stout 700 and benefit from the 3.06 first gear. The 6.2, even with a turbo, doesn't have the power to hurt it. Not throwing stones at the legendary 4l80e just pointing out that its more than you need and that = more money.
You make a good point.I feel my veering away from the 4l80e may be that I really want a 5 speed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks