• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 transmission

Chevykev

The transmission in my M1008 seems to be slow to change up, could be just me as my previous vehicle was an 03 hummer & used to that . I'll check fluid level later

Chevykev

Your post is lacking quite a bit of information. If slow to change up means it is waiting to make the shift till redline you probably have a rotted out vacuum line to the modulator.
Yes it just seems to take too long to change up & does rev quite a bit.

Skinny

Yes it just seems to take too long to change up & does rev quite a bit.
Check the vacuum line coming out of the plastic box attached to the side of the injection pump. That line goes to a metal tube under the intake manifold then down to the modulator on the side of the transmission with a little short piece of rubber in between periods probably rotted out somewhere.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the line looks ok put a vacuum gauge on the end where it plugs in to the modulator and see if vacuum is there...you can also check at the pump as well...both of mine have a t with one end capped at the pump...I replaced both as one was cracked up and leaking.

MarcusOReallyus

Give him a break...he's from the UK...they say stuff like fish n chips too...I'm sure if you said soda up the midwest of the US people would correct you and say POP!! lol just giving you a hard time.
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize he suffers from that tragic handicap. Those Brits are all messed up. They think chips are crisps, and cookies are biscuits, and all kinds of crazy stuff.

They even pronounce the "L" in "solder"!! Everybody knows it's pronounced, "sodder"! They actually say it like it's written! Can you believe that?

Oh, wait.....

:D

cucvmule

collector of stuff
And be gentle with the plastic-rubber valve Tee on the side of the injector pump in front of the engine as they are not to robust and split the rubber easily after many years. As Skinny has said the vacuum lines will go soft and some brittle. Check all connections to see if it is just a bad end of line and can have the end nipped off and put back on, just to check. The transmission modulator valve is another bad spot with like a 4 inch long vacuum line that goes soft and slips off.

The vacuum pump is easy to check also.

Check into the TM's and go through the trouble shooting section and read about particulars to familiarize yourself with components in the vacuum system.

MarcusOReallyus

And be gentle with the plastic-rubber valve Tee....

Yes, be gentle, as in, probably just replace them all, if they are original. :D

I just did a quick check and found the replacement process instructions start on page 356 of the -20 (TM9-2320-289-20), which makes me think the troubleshooting section is probably in the -10.

If you aren't familiar with the TMs, you might want to check this out. :beer:

Chevykev

Struggling to get one now in UK. Can the belt driven version be modified to fit ? Looks like the head unbolts

vanaisa

maybe you can buy pump here if someone in US is willing to send core to Hilbilly?

Or here:

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe you can buy pump here if someone in US is willing to send core to Hilbilly?

Or here:

Amazon vacuum pump pod replacement 90-1008 $87.34 read the reviews it works for the 6.2 cucv diesels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks