• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 transmission

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Squibbly

Because they are evil!
Seems like you could aluminum cast a new bell for the old one that has a lip instead of the crimp, and drill out holes to attach it, like the old mechanical fuel pumps you can take apart. You can probably melt down the piece you aren't going to use on that pump to do it.

Someone could sell the new cast aluminum bell that has tapped bolt holes and hex wrench bolts, with a diaphragm and template for drilling holes in the old base.

I'd buy that. 😀

Eventually they are going to kill off these parts or price them out so people can't fix their old stuff.
I see people 3D printing car parts, making masters and sand casting aluminum parts on youtube. Then machining the sealing surfaces flat (cross hatch). Seems like a nice skill to have (learn).

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like you could aluminum cast a new bell for the old one that has a lip instead of the crimp, and drill out holes to attach it, like the old mechanical fuel pumps you can take apart. You can probably melt down the piece you aren't going to use on that pump to do it.

Someone could sell the new cast aluminum bell that has tapped bolt holes and hex wrench bolts, with a diaphragm and template for drilling holes in the old base.

I'd buy that. 😀

Eventually they are going to kill off these parts or price them out so people can't fix their old stuff.
I see people 3D printing car parts, making masters and sand casting aluminum parts on youtube. Then machining the sealing surfaces flat (cross hatch). Seems like a nice skill to have (learn).
Yeah your right, if there is a will there is a way. Nothing can stop someone from achieving something if the will power is there. M.V. owners will be the modern day mad max people left on earth. We will find a way to keep these vehicles going no matter how we have to cobble them together.

sneekyeye

Realistically, if there is no longer a source for the cam driven pumps, the simplest course of action would be to install a modestly sized 12v vacuum pump. The output of that could be used through the modulator and adjusted for proper shifting. It might take purchasing several over time to figure out which one is robust enough and has a proper duty cycle to work for this application. Cobbling one together in that way could require a small reservoir or pressure regulator depending on how it worked out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks