• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 upgrade?

redscot

Hi
I know similar stuff has been gone over in the past but I would appreciate some guidance.
I have a 1984 M1008 (84K250) with a blown gearbox/tranny. I am now looking at my options.
Get it fixed, get a new replacement or swap out and upgrade using a doner www.ramco.co.uk/uploaded/current-offers/CHEVROLET%20CHEYENNE.pdf

In effect I can get a 6.5 turbo plus 4 speed box etc for about twice the price of replacing the box with a recon. Is this a realistic option. I would love the upgrade but is it too much trouble? What other parts would I need?

The above truck is sold but RAMCO will get more!

Its just too tempting.

Many thanks for any help.

RED

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, don't forget all the computer stuff you will need. That Ramco truck has the DS 4 injection pump. This is a drive by wire injection pump and the fuel solenoid drivers are known to fail. You would have to transfer and engineer a great deal of wiring and sensors to make this work. If you switch to a mechanical pump then you need an fairly expensive ($1000) computer to operate the 4L80E transmission. It would be an expensive swap and on a difficulty rating of 1 to 10 with one being the easiest, you would be at an easy 8 in my opinion if you engineered it yourself. Not sure what you would do about the transfer case, the one on the Ramco truck outputs on the drivers side.

Chief_919

The 98 will have a computer controlled Stanadyne Injection pump, turbo wastegate, and if you get the 4L80E transmission it will be controlled by the same computer as well.

You can swap the computer and wwiring over, I ahve seen it done.

That is the same setup my 94 Chevy pickup I use as a daily driver has, and I have a surplus 6.5 from a M998A2 in it.

redscot

Thanks for the good info.
I am not too worried about the wiring as long as I have a set of diagrams to refer to. I`m more concerned about the mechanics. The donor is 2wd and i`m not sure how to mate things into the M1008.
I suppose the accelerator pedal is an electrical sensor etc, etc

Also I would like to retain the 24v facility for slave starting etc, but this may not be practical and is a small price to pay.

Red

juspar

I found controlers online for the 4l80e for $400 the harnes for $150 and you need to rob the t.p.s sensor off of a 6.5.
You can put the turbo set up of the 6.5 on the 6.2. The 6.5 is better set up for the boost that the turbo makes and a little more power . But if your 6.2 has low miles might be worth keeping. The 208 transfer case will bolt to the 4l80e. The 4l80e is about 2 inches longer so you might have to have the drive shafts fixed.
i have a donor 99 gas 350 motor and 4l80e that i am going to put in mine. Painless wiring sells a kit that uses the stock ecm and give you the harness with all factory conection for the motor and trany for $700 I think they make one for the 6.5 as well. Might check that out.

juspar

sorry i missed the doner was 2wd dont think that trans will work you would have to look into that. I got my 4x4 4l80 for $400

redscot

Thanks for that.
I had a quick look at Painless and will go back and check them out further. Still not sure if its worth taking on. I should have most of the parts on the donor except any parts to adapt the gbox onto the transfer box. That is the main problem, is it possible or practical to do? What am I missing?
I feel its an interesting project.
It may seem crazy to take a serviceable 98 pick up and strip it for a 84, but I like my M1008 and the crewcab is too long for me and is cheap!
RED