• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 upgrades

andytk5

Hey all, just joined. Looking into a m1008 for towing my 9200# boat/trailer and saving my '05 dodge 1/2ton ram from tow duty. Only have 50k on the dodge and don't want to destroy it, but it pulls it great but is 2wd.

Had a 1984 K5 that I upgraded the frt/rr axles to 10bolt 8 lug/14bolt FF but sold that, still love the 80's trucks.

The m1008 interested me in that the drivetrain was all 1 ton and had the 4.56s, boat ramp is about 2mi from the house so no highway really. Boat weighs max 9500# but usually around 8500#-9200#. I know this is outside the GVW for these trucks but I'm way outside it now..

Was wondering if there are any a/c system kits for these trucks that are widely available or if this is really something any of you guys have done to these trucks. I know these are spartan and that is what I need, but I live in Fla near the beach and it is nuclear here in the summer!

Thanks so much and major kudos to a killer site!![thumbzup]

andytk5

Thanks for the replys. Interesting on the a/c system. Seems like the cheapest I have seen. Do either of you guys have the turbo upgrade on yours? Seems like the 6.5 stuff is out there and swaps on fairly easily once you have the header and dial up the pump.

OL AG '89

unerdash a/c says alt mounted right or left....

system looks great except that it appears that the comprssor is going to mount where one of the alternators is. There is a system from another company that is specifically designed for the M1009/CUCV with dual alts. I have a link somewhere, printed out info. Think it runs about $900....... pricey but when its 100 degs and 98% humidity....... I think its worth it?

andytk5

Yeah..... I like the way you guys think! I'm really diggin this whole situation. This is going to be pure awesomeness.

OL AG '89

Yep that's the kit. Nostalgic air parts 888-977-8889, I love the kit, but don't want to cut up the dash if I don't have to. I prefer to have the underdash blower installation if possible. In this kit the stock vents would be placed where my B/O light and service light switches are located. Also the other vent (center of dash) would be located where the aux box mount is currently located..... Maybe if I could get a couple of long thin vents for other locations that wouldn't be as noticeable. Gonna contact Nostalgic Air and ask about "mix and match" components for this system, and then MAYBE just MAYBE the wife would want to "come along for a ride"

Is that a good thing?:???:

armytruck63

Hey OL AG, let us know if you come up with some parts that eliminate cutting up the dash. It would be a hassle relocating the light switches. Thanks.

andytk5

Have any of you guys installed one of these into a 1009, or the 1008 specifically? How is the performance? I would assume it would cool the 1008 faster just from volume. Also does the nostalgic kit replce the controls since the 1008 only has the heater? I just didnt see it in the pic. I think the kit has holes for the B/O switches?

Matt65

Truck part # CK2000 for $629 and the M1009 part # for $944. Both are 15000 BTU and 290 CFM. I think that I would go with the cheaper option, unless there is a differance that I am missing.

andytk5

Wow yeah that is a huge $$ difference.

Hard to find the M1008 in Fla, may need to ship one from La, or somewhere, anybody do that?

Also are these 6.2 engines the "J" coded engines that are more desireable than the other 6.2 engines of that era??

Last edited:

andytk5

From reading on here using the search, it seems the 6.5 turbo would be a great replacement engine if the 6.2 goes, the ones from the military (if I am crorrect?) would be a HMMV engine, with the center mount turbo posing a problem for the firewall. If you used the exhaust manifolds that allowed for a side mount turbo and routed your own crossover pipes what else would be involved? Thanks!

P.S. Still on the hunt for some Fla M1008's! Saw some other's far away going for around 600.00 but didnt see the final prices...:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do have "J" engines. The 6.5 setup would be ideal but I don't know of there will be any interference with the #2 Alt. Also don't know if the turbo will interfere with the A/C system. Center mount turbos require MAJOR firewall surgery as well as inside heater duct surgery. Where are you in FL, it's a big state.

andytk5

The military 6.5 turbos were called "J" engines also? Didn't know that. I was wondering if the front stuff would be a whole lot different, I mean I'm sure you could weld some brackets and tap new hole in the fab'd brackets for the alternators, a/c etc.. (Nostalgic a/c system probably). Could you use the 6.2 side mount manifold to set the turbo off to the side? Is that what you were talking about, or where you meaning the internal dash stuff if you used the center mount and cut the firewall? I would really try to go with the side mount unless that got in the way of the compressor? Man 2 alt's, compressor, turbo... getting crowded in there.. lol, maybe even fab a bracket to put #2 on the driver's side?

I am in NE Fla so I have been checking GA, AL, LA, Miss.

So basically the 6.2 gets close to 200hp and over 400ft-lbs with the turbo, exhst, IP turn up, Intake man, decent exhaust?

The 6.5 (latest block design) is good for 300hp and 500ft-lbs? Is that with the same basic mods?

Trying to keep this truck mod simple, turbo, manifolds, IP tune, plus the dual alt's would be nice to run my Biodiesel pump for the collection tanks/pumps... guess I could use 24v pump?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noot sure about the 6.5s but all the CUCV 6.2 were "J" engines. There are some differences on the front accessories but you will have that stuff on the engine you take out. As far as the center mount, yes, the interior stuff would require extensive mods. If the center mount intrigues you, read http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27571-cucv-build-here-we-go-again.html?highlight=cucv+build Have some time, it's a long thread but it covers some of the A/C stuff too!

BigIrv

hi everyone, I just joined this month, and have already benefitted from the site. I did the doghead starter relay modification, which works great, and have learned more about my m1009. I want to install a a/c, and I see that there is alot of options. I waas looking closely at the underdash units, but not sure if there is enough room. Where would it bolt to under the dash. Thanks. 8) BigIrv

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks