• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 vibration

rfischba1

I drove my M1008 home from GL and the front end has a strong vibration at about 25 mph, my mechanic say I have a bent drive shaft.
Can a bent shaft be repaired?
Are used shafts hard to find?
How expensive is a bent shaft to repair/replace?
Trucks in great shape and runs fine, just don't want to dumo too much cash into repairs.

beaubeau

Drive shaft should be easy enough to find used. Regular 1/2 ton and 3/4 should be the same. I got a couple in my barn from past junk I recycled. Too hard to straiten shaft. Easier to build one from scratch.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a new one built. The can use your ends and just weld them into a new shaft. It'll probably cost $150 or so. I think the only one that is a true direct bolt-in will come from a mid-80's 3/4-ton 4x4 with a 14-bolt full floater, like is in the M1008. Usually, big-block (or perhaps diesel) powered trucks came with the FF rear and the 3/4-tons had the 208 transfer case, which is the combination you have in the M1008.

CCATLETT1984

1/2ton shafts are NOT the same. They will have different u-joints.

As stated above, it must come from a long bed 4x4 truck with a th400 trans/np208 transfer case & a 14bolt full float rear axle.

It shouldn't cost more than 150 to have a new tube cut and your yokes welded to it, call around to a few transmission shops and ask who does there driveshafts.

Croatan_Kid

Worst case scenario, the king pins need to be rebuilt. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that you said it was coming from the front of the truck. Are the front tires worn more on one edge than the other? [/quote]

ssgtwright-usmc

I would also look at the frame where the power steering gear box is attached.
The M1008s and other CUCV have a problem with the frame cracking on the frame where the steering box is attached.
If you see any hairline cracks where the bolts would go thru I would weld the cracks and buy a steering gear support rail.
The problem is that the steering shaft is short for a long frame and it makes the frame weak.
My M1008 had that problem and I am lucky I didnt kill anyone.
Definately check the frame where the gear box is attached to the frame.

beaubeau

There are many reasons to cause a vibration. Before spending any money, inspect it closely. Jack the vehicle up on all Fours, support with Jack stands and run it in 4x4. Get out and watch for Bent drive shaft, bent wheel or even bad Axel joints. Don"t run it at 80mph, just fast enough to watch for Problem. Good to have someone with U to Watch. 4X4s have many different reasons to Vibrate, and for the Scalloped tires. The axels can even be bent from the Factory, and cause Scalloped tires.The tires can be Way out of Ballance. Could also be a Froze caliper, or rusty rotor{R&R} Good luck, Phil

10Extreme

Mine's bent also. It also has dents in it that seem to match the fork truck dents in the side of the truck. I picked mine up from Ft Meade the same day as Randy . I heard someone else from MD mention something about bent drive shaft. Hmmm

BobM

Mine's bent also. It also has dents in it that seem to match the fork truck dents in the side of the truck. I picked mine up from Ft Meade the same day as Randy . I heard someone else from MD mention something about bent drive shaft. Hmmm

Yeah a bunch of us have mentioned/cussed/discussed the dreaded GL customized driveshaft from Ft Mead!:evil: They also broke my tranny to T-case adapter, so I'd suggest inspecting things closely. A little work now could save money and time later!

rfischba1

I got 3 m1008's from that lot at Ft. Meade 2 had bent drive shafts, one has ben replaced and drive great, the second truck is still waiting on a replacement shaft. Used ones are hard to find.

powerhouseduece

What you can do is get the shaft resleaved. Try A-1 Driveshaft, thats where I always go and never had a problem. They are very cheap and usally always replace the U-joints also. here in there Info.

1642 Beason St
Baltimore, MD 21230

Get Directions
(410) 752-3000