• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Will Turn Over but Not Start

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am writing to see anyone might have some ideas on why my truck will not start. Here are the symptoms:
  • Turn key half way and Wait Light comes on
  • Wait Light goes out as normal
  • Hear Solenoid click
  • Turn key to starting position and engine turns over (Note: I have new Optima Batteries in 24V original configuration and they easily turn over the motor. I have cranked it over for more than 20 seconds trying to get it to fire)
  • Cranking yields no firing of the engine but a small amount of black smoke does come out of the exhaust.
  • If I turn the key to the half position and do not try to start the engine, the solenoid will click every 5 seconds.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks,
Tom

dependable

Ok, It is probably either a fuel delivery or glow plug problem. Sounds like your glow plug relay may work, easy to check with volt meter. You could have burnt plugs. You could have fuel air leak, bad lift pump or failed IP. You could see if you have fuel pressure at bleeding port at top of fuel filter base.

Some would suggest your read the TMs, at least you might want to start with reading the CUCV stickys and FEQs on the CUCV forum. Most of this stuff has been covered a lot. Look around, there is a lot of info here. Best to put in a little effort looking for it. Good luck.

trooper632

Remove pink wire at injector pump, then open black valve on top of you fuel filter and crank the engine over just to make sure you are getting fuel to the injection pump. Start there

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the solenoid will click every 5 seconds
This indicates that your glow plugs are probably bad.

Troubleshooting is covered in the -20 TM. Start at the "cranks but does not start" section.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks