• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 wiring for dummies, what am I missing here

reaper556

When I purchased this truck it was missing 2 cables. The 1st is the cable from the front battery pos. post to the rear battery neg. post. The 2nd cable I figured out is missing is the cable from the rear battery pos post to the firewall bus block. I believe the red wire that runs from the diamond on the driver side attaches to this post on the rear battery as well?

My main question here is where on the bus block does the rear battery positive cable attach? I added pics here of what I have now to make sure im not missing anything. The cable I made up connecting the 2 battery's isn't the best but my goal is to finally get this truck started after her 3 year nap before I go any further
.010.jpg015.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg

reaper556

Looks like you are off to a good start. That wire across the firewall to the 12v buss next to the brake master cylinder connects to the cable that goes between the two batteries.

Here is a good reference for most of this stuff: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75505-CUCV-Wiring-Diagram-color-(except-M1010)
Thanks, for the link and tip. I didn't realize the small red wire goes to the negative of the crossover cable. It appears the rear pos cable will attach to the 3rd stud from the left on the bus block

richingalveston

you want your starter wire and battery wire on top of each other (under same stud) you can turn the ends opposite of each other and they will lay flat. of course clean connectors and use small amount of electric grease.
The rear bus and slave connection should also be under the same stud and on the stud next to the battery. do not spread cables out across buss. your other loads go on these empty terminals.
My truck has the slave port and rear bus bar on the first terminal, the battery and starter on the second. On the other two I have my 24V stuff.

The 12Volts comes from the negative of the rear battery because that is the closest point to get 12V. It stays 12V until it leaves the second battery. It allows the larger cable size to be used for the first foot. Not that it makes that big a difference.

rich

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why were the cables missing in the first place? Did the previous owner try to convert to 12 volt? If so watch what cables you reconnect or you may burn something up.

reaper556

Why were the cables missing in the first place? Did the previous owner try to convert to 12 volt? If so watch what cables you reconnect or you may burn something up.
Hmm, not sure, previous owner was a collector and bought it from a auction after the state forrest service had it. He left it sitting in a field with a bunch of other military vehicles he collected for 3 years. It still had the big sqaure batteries in it and was missing the connecting cable for the 2 batteries, the pos cable for the rear battery and the red wire from the diamond had the end terminal closeest to the battery torn/cut off. Not sure if it was canabalized or converted. How could I tell for sure?