• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 with a Yellow Nose?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint is running thin on the front of my M1008 and yellow paint is showing through? Anyone have an idea of why the nose was painted yellow at one time? It's military life was as a communications truck, four antenna mounts and power run to the bed and I purchased it off Little Rock air force base.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the grill and edge of the hood were painted yellow. At least that is all that is showing through so far. The rest of the truck is OD.

True Knight

The paint is running thin on the front of my M1008 and yellow paint is showing through? Anyone have an idea of why the nose was painted yellow at one time? It's military life was as a communications truck, four antenna mounts and power run to the bed and I purchased it off Little Rock air force base.
My M1028 has paint flaking off all over and the yellow is showing through. It was stationed at Camp Roberts so I'm guessing it was a flight line safety vehicle or crash fire rescue vehicle.

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

My USMC 86' 009 had/has yellow paint as well over the original green.
Yellow was used for fire, air field use and emergency services vehicles, for other than military use, but they were used on military bases. Mine was used at one point as a fire brush truck on Camp Pendleton. Original green, then yellow and currently dessert tan. So it is not uncommon to see yellow on military trucks under whatever color it may currently be. Hope this helps

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possible it is zinc chromate paint? Often a yellowish tint? Primary use I am familiar with was in aviation, but could have been applied to wheeled vehicles.

God bless,
Tony

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

True Knight. That's the same yellow as mine. I don't have as much showing but its the same color. Ill post a pic later today as well. I just did some touch-up on mine and it was yellow over green then sand.