• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Won't Hot Start

Macmatrix

After the truck gets up to operating temp and I shut it off it will not restart. I will turn the key and it will act like the batteries are dead. I have all new battery cables and the long cable that goes to the starter. Batteries tested good.

cucvrus

I am sticking with the starter diagnosis. Have you checked it and all the connections. Also starter relay under dash. It can go out and let you setting. Try a new one of them for less then $20.

Macmatrix

How would i go about checking the starter? I have done the doghead starter relay mod. Has anyone had any issues with them? Should i replace that first?

cucvrus

Well I am not a fan of relay mods and that does not mean it is cured. You will need to remove the starter and have it checked or just check and make sure that it is getting the signal to start. you can jump a wire across the relay and see if the starter responds. But at this point I can not do any further diagnosis from afar. I wish you luck.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it restart after sitting for a bit? I would do as suggested and have the starter tested. I had a K5 Blazer that would not restart until it had sat long enough for the starter to cool sufficiently. Usually about 15 minutes or so. I changed the starter for a new one and never happened again with that truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the starter heat shield installed?

I have factory one, but not installed.

Never have had an issue, even in the 100+ days.

Maybe starter solenoid going south.

Macmatrix

Well today I took the starter off of the truck. Plan on taking it in tomorrow and having it checked out. I do have the starter heat shield but I do not have the starter bracket that attaches on. I did find that if I let it sit for about 30 minutes it would fire right up. One thing I noticed when taking it off was the smaller black wire has seen better days. Is this a fusible wire? Or will any old wire work? I decided to take a few pictures to see if anything looked like a red flag to all of you experts out there.

Attachments

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it just needs a good rebuild from a reputable repair shop!! It also needs the starter brace to engine block to prevent major problems!!