• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 won't start after 2 days of 30 ish at night

cucvrus

Not in 30 degree weather. You have other issues that need addressed. Start from scratch and check out the entire glow plug, starting system. It sounds like it has issues.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, glow plugs will not make is crank slow.

We have covered the GP system 1000's of times. You are best to read and follow the troubleshooting section in the -20TM to correctly troubleshoot that system.

You need to start with load testing your batteries.

With one or both batteries not up to par, the GP system will not work correctly either.

MarcusOReallyus

You may have a GP problem, but one thing at a time. As doghead say, GPs won't make you crank slowly.

What kind of oil are you running?

Westech

CPL
Do you really think that 15w-40 engine oil is too thick at 30*?
Come on and use some common sense!
If it is not starting at 30* you have a major problem.
cranking fast but no start? Glow plugs.
Cranking slow and no start?
Batteries/starter.

its just that EZ

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. Would a block heater do any good?
Not for bad batteries.

Simply drive to an auto parts store and have them load tested.

Or, take them out and get them tested.

cucvrus

I think its time to drain the oil and filters each night and take it in the house with you to keep it warm. That is what the Germans had to do during the1942 Russian campaign of WII. That should work. Warm oil will start it on the first crank.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because batteries fail in the cold.

Every year millions of batteres go bad when the cold weather hits.

Is this the first vehicle you've ever owned?

rsh4364

I think its time to drain the oil and filters each night and take it in the house with you to keep it warm. That is what the Germans had to do during the1942 Russian campaign of WII. That should work. Warm oil will start it on the first crank.
Wow I just had a flashback to when I was 19 and married with a new son,I had a 67 Mustang I used to drain water out of every night to keep it from freezing every night then add warm water in morning.Between bills and eating just couldn't afford anti-freeze.Wow I feel old now

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Because batteries fail in the cold.

Every year millions of batteres go bad when the cold weather hits.

Is this the first vehicle you've ever owned?
Yes this is my first road rig. And I recently bought a 74 cj 5 that I've been working actually I ordered a new starter and several new parts for it today. Since about the age 8 I've been working on and maintaining a 70' ish coot that I helped rebuild in 05 I upgraded the engine a few years ago and I rebuilt the entire running gear about a year and a half ago. And I've worked on boats, bobcats, bull dozers and some of my dads vehicals. So I'm no stranger to working on all sorts of things

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks