• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 wont start

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check all the battery cable connections for heating. Especially the buss bar on the firewall.

Macmatrix

I did notice that the battery cables were heating up. I had both of the old batteries load tested, one good and one bad. I replaced the bad one.

MarcusOReallyus

Check your grounds, especially the big ground strap to the block. Clean the connections.

But.... since the voltage is low, it IS going to turn over slowly. You might have something draining your batteries. Sometimes an alternator can do that. You can test that by charging your batteries to full charge, then disconnecting your alternators (the plug in the back). Let it sit and see if the batteries hold their charge. You should disconnect the batteries before you charge them, and reconnect them AFTER they are fully charged and the alts are disconnected.

If it turns out to be an alternator that is draining your batteries, you can easily rebuild them. The complete parts kit is in the $40 neighborhood, and it's an easy job.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the battery's load tested just because a battery reads 12 volts doesn't mean it will have the cranking amps. Just FYI having the starter crank slow will damage the starter.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter could be getting bad , cables could be corroded under the insulation .

TM 9-2320-289-20
Table 2-3. Mechanical Troubleshooting

ENGINE
ENGINE WILL NOT CRANK
Step 1.
See Electrical Troubleshooting malfunction #42.
If engine still will not crank, notify your supervisor.

SLOW CRANKING OR UNUSUAL NOISE DURING CRANKING
Step 1.
Check starter mounting bolts for looseness.
Tighten any loose mounting bolts to 33 Ib.-ft. (45 N•m).
Step 2.
Check clearance between starter pinion tooth and flywheel. (See paragraph 4-5,
INSTALLATION)
Step 3.
Inspect flywheel ring gear for chipped or damaged teeth. (See paragraph 4-5,
INSTALLATION)
If chipped or damaged teeth are found, notify your supervisor.

CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START
Step 1.
Check to see if there is fuel in tank. Add fuel if empty.
Step 2.
Check fuel supply and return lines for restrictions, looseness, or damage.
Tighten or replace if damaged. (See paragraph 3-13 or 3-14)
Step 3.
Inspect fuel filter, fuel pump, and injector pump for leakage.
Notify your supervisor if injector pump is leaking. Replace other leaking
components. (See paragraphs 3-10 and 3-17)
Step 4.
Check for inoperative glow plugs and glow plug system. (See
Electrica
l
Troubleshooting malfunctio
2-39

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya it's most likely the starter, My M1009 had the same issue of the starter going slow after 2 new 6TL's got installed in it. Had the starter rebuilt and fixed it right up. I would have it tested.

dmetalmiki

This might sound simplistic, but CLEAN your battery terminals, both the posts and the cable clamps. Battery leads heating up is a sign of BAD contact.

rsh4364

Also make sure your cable size is up to snuff,when I got my 1009 I had some 8ga.cables and 6ga. cables on it,and those really cheap steel band type batt. terminals.

Sergeant1983

I bought a new starter for a similar problem, but discovered a bad connection on the firewall TB was the culprit before it came in. So now I have a new starter in my spare parts box. You really have to keep an eye on all those battery connections.