• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 worth it?

dirtyfingernails

I located an M1008 near me that I could get for $1500. The guy said that the starter had ruined the engine (which I don't quite understand) so he will throw in another engine for free. Sound like a good deal or should I keep looking? Also, how much does one of those engines weigh? Thanks.
DFN

mangus580

Its possible that the 'rear' starter bracket was not installed, and the starter bolts have broken out, damaging the block. Even so, if the body is good, and he is tossing in another engine, well worth the $.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a steal! Swapping the 6.2 isn't difficult but takes a little time. I can swap gasser engines in a mid 80s chevy truck in an afternoon but for some reason, the 6.2 swap takes me a couple of days. Figure around 700# on the 6.2.

dirtyfingernails

I just got back from looking at it. I was buried in his backyard. Looks like its been sitting for some time. Body looked good, but the cab had more mold in it than a mushroom cave! The other engine was of unkown condition. I decided to pass. Too much work! I'm seriusly lazy! He had a nice M1009 with a radio for $7500 with 60k miles and tranny rebuild just 2000 miles ago. I still think I can do better with Jim Henry. Thanks for the help.
DFN

dirtyfingernails

Kenny,
It's in Brooksville, FLorida, just west of Orlando. The fellas name is Ed MacKenzie. Very nice older gentleman. Has a backyard FULL of stuff for sale. If you're interested, PM me and I will respond with his phone number.
DFN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks