• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008

steyr06

Hi All

I live in Azerbaijan, small country between Russia and Iran.
My English is not very good, sorry about it. I found and bought M1008 in my country about an year ago. American embassy was selling it. The truck was painted white and it was in really bad condition. But I had no choice, there are only 2 M1008 in my country, both from the Embassy and when I got there the first M1008 had been sold. So, I decided to buy it.
I registered here 03.10.09
12 month I was reading the forum and learning a lot. Thanks for that.
I don't want to keep the truck in original, a lot of thing missed there. My goal is to build a pop-up truck Camper. I can't buy such a truck in my country becouse camping is not popular here. I can't buy the outside of the country becouse if I do it, I'll have to pay taxes which are really high in my country. For a truck with 6.2L I need to pay about 30K for taxes. Anyway, I made a decision and started slowly to fix my truck. I made it slightly longer, the bed is 3 meter now :) Installed Banks Turbo, digital gauges ...Then I bought NOCO 200 Amp High Performance Battery Isolator and I can't install it!!! Sorry, forgot to mension that I installed 12V starter and use the pass side alternator only, it will be AC instead of left alternator. So, it is 12V system now.
In the Installation instruction:

The GM Delcotron CS series alternator requires external excitation and an external sensing. An Isolator with an excitation terminal "ING" requires a plug connector kit.There 2 connectors used on General Motors vehicles after 1985

My truck is 1985. Does it have "The GM Delcotron CS series alternator"??
Could you please help me and tell how to install the Isolator to M1008 with 12V system?

rnd-motorsports

NO your truck if stock should have a si series alt. used untill the late 80s on gm's. Can't help on the isolater never installed one don't want to tell you wrong but now that you know what type alt maybe you can look and find wire diagram good luck!!

steyr06

Thank you very much!! It means that I shouldn't connect any wire to DE terminal. But how to connect alternator to the A terminal?
The red wire coming from the pass alternator to accessory wiring terminal board. I disconnected the wyre from the board and connected to A terminal on the Isolator. Can't start the engine, there is no power after removal the red wyre from the accessory wiring terminal board.
Any ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I understand you correctly, you want to remove the passenger side alternator, and still use 2 batteries. You also changed your starter to a 12 volt starter. Is that correct?

If you changed your starter to a 12 volt starter, you must resupply it (heavy battery cable) with 12 volts. You also need to remove the under-dash starter relay and "jump" the Purple with white tracer wire, to the purple wire. A short jumper wire with 1/4" spade terminals, plugged into the original relay socket will work. (or you could cut the two wires off the original plug/socket and wire nut them together.

All of the schematics are in the back of the -20 and -34 tech manuals. The tech Manuals are available here on the website, in the resources section.

All the tech manuals and some very important information is available here, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showwiki.php?title=wiki:Cucv

Last edited:

steyr06

no, I have already removed the driver side alternator and use the pass one only. And I have 12V starter. And I still have 2 batteries. No problem with that. But I want to separate the 2 battteries keeping 1 for starter only and use the second battery for anything else. Even if my second battery completely dies I'll be able to start the engine using the first battery.
Thats why I want to install the isolator but don't know how to connect the alternator to the isolator.

Last edited:

raiburn

Steyr06, Your writen english is better than half of the members on this web site. Sometimes I feel drunk when trying to read some of these posts.
Nice job, and welcome.

rnd-motorsports

Go to this link and page 2 http://www.countryhomescampers.com/pdf/Multibattery_Isolator_Instructions.pdf

the batterys pos post of the starting bat will go to the top junction block and the ground to the bottom junction block you should also have a cable from the top juntion plock to the starter and from bottom junction block to the engine for ground the secondary bat + post to what you want to power and ground to ground or the bottom junction block then the bat output from the alt the large post on back of alt. to the A post on the isolater the #1 post of the isolater to the pos post of starting bat or the top juction block and the #2 post to the second bat threw a breaker. The two wires in the same plug on the alt. the big red is a volt sense wire for the regulater should go to the top juction block as well and the little wire is for activation and the light on you dash will not change any of it! hope this helps and tryed to be simple hope I was :driver:

rnd-motorsports

In order for the system to work you must keep the truck system on the start bat truck light,heater, wipers etc. as stated and anything you add for the camper or whatever on the sec battery

steyr06

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!!!! I understood everything about two batteries wiring but just wonder if I can connect A post on the isolator to the top junction box? And disconnect + of the second battery from the junction box of course.
The red wire from the alternator goes to the junction box anyway and it will be easier for me to wire the A post on the isolator from the junction box. Or I HAVE TO connect A post from the alternator ONLY?

rnd-motorsports

The large out put on the back of the alternator goes to the A post only CANNOT go to the junction block in order for the isolater to charge both batterys when truck running. The large red wire in the two wire plug on the alternator goes to the juntion block. the two must be seperated for the isolater to do its job you are asking it to do! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks