• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008A1 cargo cover installed

aboonski

Thanks to Jason in St Cloud Florida, I now have a cargo cover on my CUCV. It took about five hours of constant work to bolt everything down and deploy the canvas but everything came out fine. Once the sun works on the canvas for a few hours the material will stretch a little and I will be able to work the bugs out of what you see in the photo.

Does anyone have a source for the twist grommets that hold the canvas to the bed of the truck? Several of the ones I have are non-functional and I would love to ontain a new set if possible. Some of the straps are getting old also and I would love to find new ones if possible.

Attachments

aboonski

Thanks a million for the information! Nothing like new replacement parts and knowing where to find them. Everything came together when I got in touch with weldergonecrazy in St Cloud who had the necessary top bows for my truck. This website is a real goldmine for people who want to keep their MVs on the road. My CUCV is my favorite of the two trucks that I have and you just can't get enough spare parts for these things! A lot of people get these trucks and immediately start stripping off the parts that make them what they are - and I'm right there to buy those parts when I can - especially if they are in Florida. I love the way part numbers are stamped into the cargo cover bed parts that hold the curtain fasteners - very unique!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
aboonski, when you have time please post more pics of your1008 with the new cover on it. It looks great!

aboonski

More photos of the M1008A1

My truck is far from being restored! I drive this thing every day and wanted it to be functional and as close to stock military appearance as possible. When I bought the truck from a guy in Carmel New York, none of the antennas or mounts were on it so I ordered four new sets from a seller in Hesperia CA - at the time they were $40.00 each which was a great deal for the kits! The antennas were bought individually from several Ebay sellers and are just for cosmetics - no radios in this truck at present. Most recently I bought the top bows, troop seats and other cargo cover parts from Jason in St Cloud and combined what I got from him with other sets that I picked up here and there to arrive at what you see in these pictures. I plan to use one set of troop seats to fabricate one fold-down set of seats like you would see in an M35 instead of the [/i]individual seats which are stock in the M1008; just an idea of mine. I have the fiberglass seat slats for the project which I acquired by dismantling a bunch of FMTV troop seats - I bought them from a GL auction at Homestead AFB thinking they were for an M35 but discovered they were only 10 feet long and the deuce bed was 12 feet long! Anyway, here are more photos for your perusal.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: More photos of the M1008A1

Aboonski, I might be interested in some of those 10ft fiberglass troop seat slats if you have any left. Feel free to PM.

Dieselsmoke

RE: More photos of the M1008A1

Looks good. I could use another cargo cover if anybody has any for sale. Also looking for the com shelter tiedown brackets for one of my 1028s.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks outstanding. Very cool!

I'd Like to find a Cago Cover for my M1028A1 as well. I have the rest of the harware. Including troop seats.

Anyone with a line on an NOS cover, please PM me as well.

aboonski

Just installed my new M1008 CUCV cargo cover that I bought from a fellow SteelSoldiers member and it fits like it should; previously I had an M880 cargo cover on the truck but it never fit properly. Some photos of what I have accomplished so far will follow. The weather was almost right for the installation today - slight chill outside but not like the past week or so with 30 degree temps here in Central Florida. I think it would have gone better if I did this in 70+ degree weather though because it took all I had to stretch the cover and thread the "buttonholes" along the sides. Once I got into bright sunlight things went a bit easier. I did have to relocate several of the quarter-turn pieces which were not in the right places to begin with. The new cover is completely different from the ones I am used to with the metal grommets along the bottom. Time will tell if these will hold up as good as the metal ones (see the closeup of one of the "buttonholes" or grommets). I still have to attach the front portion of the cover but will have to pull some of the "spoils" out of the truck to get to the grommets by the cab. This cover fits perfectly - almost too tight! Once the sun has had a chance to work on it I am sure it will stretch a little.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At one point I wanted a cover like that. Usually when it rains, it pours and the cover deal was no different. I now have a really nice used cover, a brand new cover and an NOS winter cover that might just need to go to the FL rally so I can heat the back for the kids. Looks great Allan.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get this from CUCVFAN? I noticed he had them listed in the classifieds. I want to get one for my truck and I was hoping to find out if this is how they look. Neil sent me pics of the cover, but did not have any of them on a truck.

aboonski

I did get mine from CUCVFAN and they are really nice! Very tight fitting covers that work your hands pretty hard during installation. I used bungee cords to pull tension on the grommets so that I could get each of them into place and still have to deal with the ones on the front as yet. What's really nice about these covers are the velcro seals on the front and rear curtains. The zippers are nylon and not metal. The grommet holes are made of nylon too and not the metal hardware that tend to come apart over time (see the photo). Thanks for the compliment Kenny! I hope to bring this truck to the Fl rally once I get the H1 wheels on the vehicle but will not venture into the mud pits - I baby my truck if you know what I mean....

niferous

It looks really good. Just a tip that you may already know but it does not hurt to mention. When we had these covers on the beds of our M998 HMMWVs in the Army we would take a thin sheet of plywood, paint it black, and attach it to the top bows. We used about 1/4" if memory serves me. We would just drill holes in it and zip tie it to the frame. The reason we did this is that when it rained the canvas would sag between the bows and stretch out the canvas. Then you have a problem with it flapping in the wind really bad going down the highway. With the plywood it forces the rain to roll off the top and not sag. When we had to take the covers off we would just slide the plywood in the bed and lay it flat.

Just an FYI for you or anyone else out there who may have not known about this "tip". :beer:

ABN173

It looks really good. Just a tip that you may already know but it does not hurt to mention. When we had these covers on the beds of our M998 HMMWVs in the Army we would take a thin sheet of plywood, paint it black, and attach it to the top bows. We used about 1/4" if memory serves me. We would just drill holes in it and zip tie it to the frame. The reason we did this is that when it rained the canvas would sag between the bows and stretch out the canvas. Then you have a problem with it flapping in the wind really bad going down the highway. With the plywood it forces the rain to roll off the top and not sag. When we had to take the covers off we would just slide the plywood in the bed and lay it flat.

Just an FYI for you or anyone else out there who may have not known about this "tip". :beer:
I remember doing the same thing CUCV's and HMMWV's alike. I was thinking just yesterday that I needed a cover for my M1008.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're in luck as I still have some covers left.:-D

And, thanks for sharing the pics, aboonski!

Last edited: