• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008A1 cargo cover installed

aboonski

Thanks for the tip about the plywood Niferous. Right now the top is so tight the rain rolls off and does not pool - once the sun works on it I am sure it will stretch and sag a bit. I used to put shower curtain rods in the bed of my truck - about four of them that pushed the cover up to a peak to make the rain water run off the sides when I had the M880 cover on the truck. I never took the time to lengthen the bows to complete the modification requred to accomodate that cover on my M1008A1 and it did work as long as the cats stayed off the top. I am going to use the M880 top on my parts truck which will then be used to store a bunch of parts that are taking up space in the garage. These tops also work well on the M116 trailer that I have for my MEP002 generator. I took the truck out for a drive today for the first time with the new cover installed and you don't even know it is back there compared to the other cargo cover which flapped in the wind. I'll add a few more photos that I just took today.

Attachments

lindyp38

it looks really good. Just a tip that you may already know but it does not hurt to mention. When we had these covers on the beds of our m998 hmmwvs in the army we would take a thin sheet of plywood, paint it black, and attach it to the top bows. We used about 1/4" if memory serves me. We would just drill holes in it and zip tie it to the frame. The reason we did this is that when it rained the canvas would sag between the bows and stretch out the canvas. Then you have a problem with it flapping in the wind really bad going down the highway. With the plywood it forces the rain to roll off the top and not sag. When we had to take the covers off we would just slide the plywood in the bed and lay it flat.

Just an fyi for you or anyone else out there who may have not known about this "tip". :beer:
i will be using this tip when i get my cover.........

lindyp38

great suggestions....i plan on using them.......when i get my cover......

my straps are shot..........not quite sure what im gonna do...about that.....

hmsgoodhope

Super rebuild - just started mine a month ago - an 86 M1031 I picked up at Ft Meade. Great thread with tips that will really help me on some of the issues I have already realized I would have to deal with. Question - what are you doing for radio rig - see you have 4 antennas - what rig are you using and how goes the install? Many thanks for post!