• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008a1 communications kit

2deuce

I would like to find out what the kit contained. There must have been a TM for it. Has anyone restored one of these M1008a1 to be the truck they were designed to be with the kit?

Thanks

m38inmaine

I believe it was a multi purpose radio rack and power distribution box, I have one of the racks in my M1010 in place of the passenger side litter rack for my comm. gear.

Attachments

2deuce

I was thinking there was more to the kit. I got my truck from Ft Lewis with those items, troop seats and an antenna mount at each bed corner. I've been thinking of completing the truck as a M1008a1, but I'm not sure what that should be. I was thinking there should be a cargo cover. Seems like the a1 designation would have a certain purpose, but maybe not, just radios. There is a lot of room in that radio rack and wonder what would have been in it. If anyone has their M1008a1 set up as intended, I sure would like to see it.

Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a cargo cover kit.
It’s collapsible when needed.

You would need The radios to really complete it.
Not sure what was in the cab as all the radio base units were in the rack.
All the racks and mounts were already removed when I picked up mine at Ft. Hood.

A218C697-422D-42A1-86E7-518C4CAA3618.jpg
Not my truck.
Internet search pic.

m38inmaine

What radio's were installed all depended on what was authorized to the unit and by the unit commander. At a minimum would have been a VRC-46(RT-524)and one antenna.

2deuce

What would typically be installed if the rack was full? I think my truck would have had more since it had 4 antennas. Most of the radios I have are older and rack mounted, but I do have some RT524 and an/grc-106 radios. I'm not a radio guy except that the look military radios give a military vehicle is what I'm after.

Thanks

m38inmaine

Again, each unit had a MTOE, a list of equipment authorized. There was no standard "kit" for any vehicle. The only standard would have been the installation kit for the specific radio for the specific vehicle, there is a TM with this information. It's up to you what radio's you want to install, there is no wrong or right set up. A RT-524 and GRC-106 would certainly have been used during the CUCV era.

2deuce

I'm hoping to find out how the M1008a1 was used as a communication rig. Could it have 2 operators? Would it make any sense to have duplicate radios? Did it often pull a generator? Would it have been used for long range transmissions? I haven't found any restored examples yet. I understand it didn't have a specific list of equipment, but if I knew how it was typically used, I could get a typical example.

Thanks