• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008A1 radio equipment

llong66

I have an M1008A1 wich I understand was a radio truck. The bed has four places on all four corners where it had antennas. What type of equipment do I need to be looking for to more or less restore the truck? It does not look to have had things bolted in the cab. Would an S250 shelter be more appropriate?
If you could guide me to a place ×ith this info, that would be great! I have not foud anything in the CUCV tech manuals.

Thanks much,
Greg

llong66

Thanks NDT, that sounds alot more of what I need from the little I have been able to find and read. The truck does have 4 tie downs, one in each corner. They are not small by any means, wihout going out to measure, I would guess they have a shaft diamater of around 3/4" and the eye round 1 3/4" to 2". I also cannot recall w/o looking if they only go through the bed or the frame or other means of reenforment. I do know not all 08s have these. Is this normal for the A1 variant of these trucks or is it possible that it was at one time used as a shelter carrier?
Thanks again for your time and help!

Greg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if your truck has the heavy channel with loops right behind the cab, it has been converted into a shelter carrier. Shelters look cool but they make the truck a bit top heavy and create a lot of wind drag. Also, troop seats and shelter brackets are mutually exclusive accessories.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What your describing sounds like the shelter tie downs used on the 1028's. It could have been converted by a unit. Or the bed replaced while in a refurbish. If it has the overload springs on the rear axle then it's more than likely a 1028. If you have the limited slip front axle then this would be more evidence it's a 28. Even though the data tag said something different. These trucks were cannibalized to keep others in service. With these parts a S250 shelter would be a great way to finish it out. I have seen Pics of bed mounted radios in 1008's. They will have troop seats and a vinyl soft top also. Try a google pic search for both a 1028 and a 1008. And build the one you like best. Both trucks would make a great restoration.

llong66

Ken,

I have thought about the things you mentioned. I need to find some pics on the site here of the rear overloads as I am not sure exactly what I am looking for. As far as the front end goes, until I pull the cover this spring to change the fluid, clean and just check the overall condition of the unit I wont know if it has an open unit or trac lock unless there is a way to tell without this. I will be pulling the cover to change the fluid and such regardless so its more or less just when I will find out for sure. It would sure be great if it had a front end out of a 1028! That would be a nice surprise as I eventually want to put some type of locker in anyway.

Thanks,
Greg

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, Lock one hub on the front axle. Then with the transfer case in 2WD. Try to turn the front drive shaft by hand. If it turns then it's a open diff. If not then it's a Trac-lok. I will try to post a rear spring pic of mine for you.

llong66

Ken,

Thanks for the info on checking my front diff. and when you have the time taking a rear spring pack pic!!

Thanks again!
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks