• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 37x12.5s Uhaul Trailer?

KyCUCVs

Contact your local construction equipment rental place, one that rents Bobcats. Our local Bobcat dealer rents double axle trailers that will take 8,000 pounds. I used one to move my parts M1009.

us74k5

worked for me

I towed my 74 K5 with a 4 inch lift and brand new 35" pro comp xterrains from fort hood, tx to Fort Lewis, WA. No issues, I even took it up over the mountain passes and everything. I strapped it down over the axles, and it was fine. I used the tandem axle uhaul trailer.

bronconut

i read these posts in complete amazment, first why would you take a chance with things you payed hard earned money for or put others on the road in danger, just because a blazer fits on a trailer dose not mean you can haul it. those short u haul trailers do not allow you to set your tounge weight , tounge weight is what will make this thing safe to tow or not safe to tow. as long as the gross weight is not exceeded. i agree with the other person who suggested that you go to a equip. rental place and rent at least a 7000 lbs trailer and make sure you have a spare tire, then get at least 2 sets of chains but better with four along with chain tie downs, load it up chain it down and go.

Snarky

Sounds to me like most of the problems were not because of load weight, but because uhaul has a habit of renting dangerous, unmaintained, and damaged equipment. Most of the Uhaul trucks I've rented have broken down on the side of the road. The trailers generally have poor tires, damaged straps, or damaged decks.

I say go to the equipment rental place for another reason: Uhaul rental stuff is rubbish.

blybrook

After reading a few of the other responses, I have to agree that my previous suggestion of the towbar is probably the way to go.

The Uhaul trucks don't have a good towing attachment system on the one's I've seen and I wouldn't want to rent a trailer from elsewhere to hook it up. They have their 4 wire attachment via clips and that's it, they are not setup for electric brakes at all. They don't even have a standard plug, that's why you get an adapter when you rent the trailer. Most equipment rental places have their trailers setup with electric brakes instead of surge, so you'd want to have that option if you are moving any long distance; that's a lot of weight behind you pushing you around. You surely wouldn't want to be on the side of the road waiting for them to come fix a flat or other problem with a vehicle on the trailer that wasn't part of the rental agreement!

Granted, my experience with the scout was short distance (20 miles or less); I've since gone out and picked up a 20' car hauler and don't worry about renting anything anymore unless I have to move more than 7k at one time.

Last edited:

dstang97

mud stone are you making 2 trips? or trying to get everything into one load? I would not use the U-haul. I have done tons of towing and that is not safe. I do like the tow bar idea.

dstang97

mud stone are you making 2 trips? or trying to get everything into one load? I would not use the U-haul. I have done tons of towing and that is not safe. I do like the tow bar idea.

Mudstone

well i talked to penske rental. They are pretty cool about the truck and their equip looks pretty solid. behind the 26' truck which is cheaper than a 16' uhaul i will have a car carrier. If i can get a set of stock rims and tires they assure me i can go there and check it out. Also they say it will work out just fine but i will have to provide means to secure the truck down. I'm trying to make it a one shot deal. me driving moving truck and pulling my truck with the g/f and friend in the nissan.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
penske sounds like the way to go stock rims should be easy to find and the tires just need to hold air wiyh a dolly good luck and have a safe trip

scoutdoors1000

After my tow experience.....I will NEVER do it again and NEVER recommend it to anyone . white knuckle the whole way and never once listened to the radio. Always too busy listening for ANYTHING to make a noise.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Penske trailers I've seen are SAAWEEEET!

Either Yall Haul or Penske's 26' trucks will pull their trailers just fine. and with that size tow vehicle, too much tongue weight shouldn't be an issue.

Been about 10 years since I used a 26' Yallhaul & car transport.
Have since bought my own 7000lb 18' bobtail trailer with electric brakes on both axles.
now wishing I would have gotten at 10k trailer instead. Oh Well, guess trailers are like garages - always run out of capacity.......................

Mudstone

so having trouble finding a set of rims and tires... decided to have it shipped... however at this point it seems even that is a rough situation.

AJMBLAZER

Ugh...shipping is a bad word. Know too many people who've had it go bad. Check out their references REALLY good and don't go with the cheapest shipper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not consider using a tow bar? Seems like a no brainer to me! Easy, quick, affordable and safer than the trailer. No shipper to lose your Oh-9 either.

lelant

I towed my M1009 from Ft. Bliss, Tx to Albuquerque, NM w/o any problems. tow vehicle was my 02 F350 w 7.3 diesel. According to u haul specs. car transport could handle blazer as long as it didnt have oversize tires. everything worked well.

mikelee

:)2centsA stock k5/m1009 blazer fits the uhaul 2 axle trailer fine towed mine SAFELY FOR 400 MILES. With 2005 1/2 Ton Suburban towed very well blazer is the longest that will fit.