• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 a/c

tcg528

Hey guys, I know A/C has in the M1009 has been covered a lot here, but I need help identifying what is in mine. The previous owner put it in and I've never seen anything like it in the pictures of nostalgia air and od iron kits. I'm hoping someone has experience with this. This unit seems to support two vents in the same box which holds the coils, and might have ducting to the driver side.

The first pic is of the leftmost vent, which is not in the center of the dash, but is at the left edge of the glovebox (which is removed). You can see the coils through it.

The second pic is of the rightmost vent by the door, which you can also see the coils.

The third pic is the blower motor for just the A/C. As far as I can tell, the heater and A/C are two completely separate systems.

The fourth pic is from the A/C blower to the box that holds the coils. It looks like it's designed for this and not just something ghetto rigged.

The fifth pic is of the underside of the box and the ducting for the blower motor. Sorry for the glare, my phone was about to die and I couldn't use flash.

Overall, this looks somewhat professional and designed to be here, but I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Also, it has two rubber hoses for the refrigerant, I thought the high side line needed to be metal to contain the pressure.

Also, this doesn't work yet, as it has no compressor, but the blower motor for it works.

Any advice you guys could give me would be immensely appreciated.

Attachments

Barrman

If you are trying to figure out what it is. My first thought was evaporator/fan/plenum from a full size van of about the same vintage as the CUCV. Show us under the hood as requested above and maybe we can narrow it down some.

Pretty much you have an experimental system that we will only be able to guess at what will make it work right.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the 70s into the 80s there were dozens or more of companies making add on air for the 73-87 chevy trucks. There is just no telling whose kit you might have unless you find a sticker somewhere. Most of the add on A/C kits are seperate from the heaters. I had an 88 V30 crew cab without air that I bought in 96. I was able to find a company to put air in that truck for $1500. My stipulation to the guy is that it had to use a factory style of control and he was able to pull that off. I still don't know what all he put in there. FWIW the most annoying part of the add on air is the sound of the fan as it's in the passenger compartment. On high it sounds like an L1011 taking off.

tcg528

Sorry for the late reply. The new job has me busy and I haven't been getting email notifications of posts. So far the only underhood components are the 2 rubber hoses (capped off by garbage bag and electrical tape), the accumulator, and maybe the coils behind the radiator. The previous owner never got around to installing a compressor. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the heads up on older companies. I kept looking at nostalgia air and OD Iron and scratching my head, lol!

ryan77

Vintage air units are nice take that piece of garbage under your dash to the scrap yard and just buy a new unit!!!2cents

tcg528

I was thinking about just grabbing a new unit from LMC truck, since it seems like the heater core and Evaporator are in the same housing. Anyone do that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks