• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Air Force Markings

Crash_AF

US Air Force
85K#### (#### is whatever vehicle order number sequence the vehicle is)

Would be centered on the front doors just below the body line, right side of the front bumper and left side of the rear. On CUCVs I also saw US Air Force on the left and the reg number on the right (as you look at the bumpers) That's the only standardized marking on AF vehicles.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF

NP

Oh, as an alternate I also saw the rear markings on the bottom corners of the tailgate since the bumper is not flat.

Most of what I saw was door markings only FWIW (forgot to add that in the first message)

Later,
Joe

wlcharm

Most of the AF trucks I was around (Blue Flightline) had the door markings and tags with US AIR FORCE 85K####. I didnt know if the M1009 had tags or if they were painted on the front and back. Where did they come up with thre K in 85K####?
Thanks

maritimer

i have an air force m1009 the markings are on the doors and on the lower portion of the tail gate. my camera is broke right now otherwise i would post the pics.

Sarge

USAF M1009 markings

I've attached two pictures of a USAF M1009, the doors are marked correctly for the 80's except one stencil is missing. Underneath the "84K32" there should be 1" stencils reading "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY"
On the back of the vehicle, the lower left corner was marked with the MAJCOM (Major Command) 3 letter designator, in this case AFE, Air Forces Europe, also known as USAFE. I remember it because of the song, M-I-C-K-E-Y-U-S-A-F-E.
The lower right corner was the airbase, in this case SAB or Sembach Air Base, not to be confused with Spangdahlem Air Base which was SPAB.
I have no idea how they were marked stateside, I did 8 long tours overseas, I was never stationed in the US during my entire career.
I think that stateside an airbase was called an AFB (Air Force Base) as in RAFB, Randolph Air Force Base. Overseas, we were simply an Air Base, as in RAB or Ramstein Air Base.
Clear as mud?
-Sarge

Attachments

86-1ton

hey, how come i haven't come across this one sooner!...

are these markings correct for an M1008 as well...?

or at least for tribute use on my crew cab...?

Crash_AF

Yes, they are standard for all Air Force tactical vehicles... here's a pic from a deuce I found in Rancher's Supply's junkyard. It is a L number because it is a pole setter truck but tactical trucks are K

Later,
Joe

Attachments

mpmutt

Hi, Hoping that "Sarge" may be able to comment on or translate the following AF markings. Was looking at a picture in a friends stuff that showed what appeared to be 2 USAF MP's standing next to a tactical vehicle. It was a humvee which had a M1101 type LTT attached to it, taken at Spangdahlem Air Force Base in Germany fairly recently. On the rear of the 383 carc green trailer was the block areas of tan with on the left side: USAF on top and 52FW on the bottom. On the right side was: 52SF on top and T101 on the bottom. What would all this mean?

Thanks
Glenn
MVPA
MTANJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks