• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 air intake cleaner

dc_cucv

Where would i be able to find the little connecting piece that goes on the air cleaner to run a tube down to the radiator/pass side headlight?

would someone on here happen to have one they are parting with? if so, message me.

Also - the tube for the CDR valve - does it need to be bent or can i run a different path?

thanks!!!

Attachments

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not sure if that intake tube was standard on cucv’s, but I’ve seen them on civilian 6.2’s and there was a resonator in line as well. They’re somewhat rare but I occasionally see them on eBay. I’ve also seen custom ones made from gutter downspouts.

It may help quiet some of the drone associated with the air filter/intake but otherwise I don’t think it does much.

Keith_J

I found Gates heater duct that fits over the snorkle. Secures with a hose clamp, then I made a metal adapter for the core support knock out. Helps with noise.

Keith_J

I forget the size. I measured the circumference of the oval snorkle to determine equivalent round diameter.

There is no snow or mist trap other than the spiral corrugations. Disconnect if traveling through heavy precipitation as the air filter can collapse if it gets wet.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side note:

If that engine is like a Chevy 350 4 bolt main or a Ford 351 Windsor, you can flip that air cleaner cover upside down and you'll get an extra 7-10 horsepower!

:driver:

ssdvc

That's the same tom foolery as these cold air kits they sell today. All they do is increase the intake noise, so it sounds faster. Those kits all claim 5-10 hp increase. I've got news for Ya, you gain 5-10 hp when the sun goes down. Good Luck.
That's why I only drive the 09 at night !!!:cool:

dc_cucv

That's the same tom foolery as these cold air kits they sell today. All they do is increase the intake noise, so it sounds faster. Those kits all claim 5-10 hp increase. I've got news for Ya, you gain 5-10 hp when the sun goes down. Good Luck.
Wrong. They provide cooler, denser air to the engine vs the hot air in the engine bay. Naturally a cold air intake provides a more noticeable change in gas cars - throttle response, slightly better mileage. Will not give as much benefit on a diesel, but if it helps ONLY with noise, then it's a win already.

I have aftermarket intakes in all my gas cars - Camaro, Equinox, Corvette - even in my Chevy 3500 RV. All i can tell you is i can feel a difference when driving them stock vs current.

This is what i just got done to my 1009. I knocked out the port cover on the grill, ordered the cover adapter from LMC and then got a 4" air duct hose by Spectre (Part N 9751) which came with the rubber adapter. Bought two 4" clamps and done. Maybe $60-75 in parts and hour of time.
Will need to rotate the front battery. I'm going to make myself a temp bracket using some metal straps and the existing hardware mounting bolts, but may have someone weld me up something sexier if i keep it like this.

Have not driven yet (getting seats re-worked), but will give you an honest reply on if it makes any difference at all.

Attachments

cucvrus

Since the 6.2 diesel was built to have the same power as a 305-gas engine, I think this is a respectable test.
I still doubt any power difference. I think it is phycological. My Dad had a new 1977 K5 with a 400 in it. I flipped the air cleaner lid every time I drove it. This is similar. Same equipment the trailering special. https://youtube.com/shorts/ZvviHawelCo?feature=share
getting more than 135 HP out of a stock CUCV is hard. I read some have them rated at 115, 135, 155. I think 135 is accurate. They can find grades easily and always could even when new. Good Luck with your modification. Not worth the effort or added expense. When I drove my Dads K5 I got 6MPG because I loved the sound the quadra-jet made and used it every time I pulled out. That was 400 CID and had 175 HP. That was a 6.5. My new truck has a 5.3 with 375 HP and that is smaller than a 327 CID engine of days gone by. Amazing what has become of newer engines.

Keith_J

Carburetored cars can see slight improvement with a cold air intake, once properly warmed up. Most electronic fuel injected cars came with factory cold air intakes, aftermarket kits are just a way of liberating money from wallets.

CUCV came without any ducting as the dual alternators and batteries took up the space. And being diesel, all it does is reduce noise which may be of benefit to you. I noticed the reduction of noise, no change in power.

Under hood temperature is less of an issue with CUCV as it is an open engine bay. Modern vehicles use limited air flow to reduce drag. This greatly increases under hood temperature, making fresh air intakes effective.

dc_cucv

Since the 6.2 diesel was built to have the same power as a 305-gas engine, I think this is a respectable test.
I still doubt any power difference. I think it is phycological. My Dad had a new 1977 K5 with a 400 in it. I flipped the air cleaner lid every time I drove it. This is similar. Same equipment the trailering special. https://youtube.com/shorts/ZvviHawelCo?feature=share
getting more than 135 HP out of a stock CUCV is hard. I read some have them rated at 115, 135, 155. I think 135 is accurate. They can find grades easily and always could even when new. Good Luck with your modification. Not worth the effort or added expense. When I drove my Dads K5 I got 6MPG because I loved the sound the quadra-jet made and used it every time I pulled out. That was 400 CID and had 175 HP. That was a 6.5. My new truck has a 5.3 with 375 HP and that is smaller than a 327 CID engine of days gone by. Amazing what has become of newer engines.

Flipping an air cleaner does NOTHING buy maybe get more air in - the same HOT air you were getting before you flipped it.

If you have an outside source of cooler air than in the engine bay, then you'll notice something. No one is claiming 5-10hp gain or anything like that.
Fuel economy, throttle response and slightly less noise is all I'm looking for.

Some times you old school guys are just set in your ways. No matter your age or your opinion, you can't argue with physics.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flipping an air cleaner does NOTHING buy maybe get more air in - the same HOT air you were getting before you flipped it.

If you have an outside source of cooler air than in the engine bay, then you'll notice something. No one is claiming 5-10hp gain or anything like that.
Fuel economy, throttle response and slightly less noise is all I'm looking for.

Some times you old school guys are just set in your ways. No matter your age or your opinion, you can't argue with physics.
Wow, now old age and schooling makes a difference.

dc_cucv

Yes, age makes a difference apparently to realize that cooler air is denser.
In no way saying this is even close to a turbo set up, but almost the same principle applies. Cant argue with science (unless you're a democrat).

dc_cucv

Ok, just drove around today for about 10 minutes and can tell you for sure it is way quieter with the snorkel than without. I didn't get to go far or accelerate much due to traffic, but could say that i did feel a small difference overall aside from the noise factor. But again, didnt drive more than 5 miles.

Tomorrow I am driving 100 miles each way to meet Recovry4x4 to pick up a trailer. I'll get a chance to get on the highway and get a better assessment. So far not regretting it.

dc_cucv

Ok, just returned from picking up my M416. 100 miles each way.

The verdict. I absolutely feel a difference using the snorkel and feeding outside air into the intake. No, did not see a 10hp again, but i can tell you 100% the truck is quieter and I noticed a definite change in throttle response. Doesn't feel as sluggish when i floor it.

So, for less than 80 bucks and maybe an hour or so of time, this is something i definitely do not regret.

I challenge any of you who don't believe it'd make a difference to try it.

87cr250r

A crossover pipe in the dual exhaust would be the next step. I was about to do that until my head gasket let go and now I'm going to cross over in a turbo.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, just returned from picking up my M416. 100 miles each way.

The verdict. I absolutely feel a difference using the snorkel and feeding outside air into the intake. No, did not see a 10hp again, but i can tell you 100% the truck is quieter and I noticed a definite change in throttle response. Doesn't feel as sluggish when i floor it.

So, for less than 80 bucks and maybe an hour or so of time, this is something i definitely do not regret.

I challenge any of you who don't believe it'd make a difference to try it.
No matter what is done to it, the 6.2 is still a turd trying to push a 2.5 ton brick down the road. And there will be no speed or pulling records broken while doing it.

At least now it's quieter for you while thinking about the next upgrade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks