• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 alternator Questions?

RuzzP

Hey guys, kinda confused here. Pics below.
Bit of background story, started with me wanting to remove the diagnostic plug in the cab. Looked at it a lil closer and figured i might as well clean up the wires in the engine bay. PO had been in the looms and hacked everything up doing a manual glowplug set up. He also swapped in an engine from a HMMWV, duno if that plays a role in this. Everything worked fine before i started this, with the exception of gen 1 light dimly flickering recently, could very well be due to 3 good years of running a 1500w stereo, lol. I know the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it and fully agree. But this is pretty much preventative maintenance at this point, That harness has always been a "just dont f***ing touch it" kinda deal. It has been known to let the smoke out. Starter and glowplugs both stuck on the PO in the past, starter ran away on me once too, enough wondering whats damaged, time to look. Found a few obvious problems/potential shorts but nothing out of the norm for these units, haha. Doing all this also helps me understand some of the diagrams and what wires are actually back there. Its for the greater good of a a hurtin old 09, please dont hate. Not to mention i wanna make it look pretty when im done.

I didnt dig thru the TMs to find the pin out for the diagnostic plug, so i traced wires and used common sense. Removed the wires from passenger alternator, 24v block, and ground block. There were a few more that were teed into sensor wires, removed them also. Which leaves me with the 2 wires circled on the drivers side alternator. What are they doing?(not much im assuming) That brings me to how the alternators are wired. Drivers side has NO ground wire, other wire goes to 12v as it should.

On the passenger side the top big wire goes to 24 as it should, and the lower wire goes to the 12v rail... is this correct? There is a modern-ish transparent crimp connector and a non factory looking ring terminal in this suspect wire too. Someone has been fiddling.

What i need to know is:
Why does gen 1 have no ground - should i ground it?

Was gen 1 somehow grounded thru the diagnostic plug system and relying on that(wild guess, lol) kinda wondering if this has something to do with the fact that its a HMMWV engine. Did they do anything differently with the alternators or grounding?

Im assuming i can remove the brown and black diagnostic wires from gen 1? Im not even sure they are supposed to be where they are.

Finally, is the lower wire on gen 2 supposed to run to the 12v rail?

1 more for bonus points... are fusible links necessary for the glow plug wires if im running 60G's with a manual button
(And a lil common sense of course). Some of em look too melted for my liking.

Thanks for the help in advance

-Russell

Attachments

Last edited:

cpf240

Perhaps the PO put an non-isolated ground alt in the GEN1 position? Then it wouldn't need a ground wire. One of the wires on the back of GEN1 is the tach feed for the diag plug.

For GEN2, if this is still a 24v truck, then its 'ground' terminal is in fact connected to the 12v buss. This gives it 12v as its ground reference, so it puts out 24v, and is why it must be an isolated-ground alt.

RuzzP

It is still 24v, that would make sense. It does look like a slightly different alternator. I guess ill just leave er as is. Good to know about the tach wire too!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firstly, I edited your title. The 3 letter abbreviation isn't needed or allowed here. Your drivers side alternator is sporting a ground wire. These alternators are isolated ground and as such, aren't supposed to ground through the case (where you pointed out no ground). The lug at the top of the six vertical vents is the ground lug. As the alternators are in series so to speak, is the reason the passenger alternator has 12V going to the same ground lug.

RuzzP

My bad. Either way, shouldn't that wire be grounded to the block, with a larger gauge wire perhaps? That wire ran to the diagnostic plug. Which is what i was wondering. Other pics i have seen show the wire running up behind the tstat housing. The stud is there for it on the engine. Or do i just ground the existing wire?