• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Alternators

bcolemanttu

Is there any reason this alternator won't work on both sides. Does anyone know anything about this company?

I looked up ODIRON and i guess they are out of business.

I want a full set of spares so i will get my current ones rebuilt.

Thanks in advance for the help

OEM(s): Delco
Voltage: 12 Volts
Amps: 100 Amps
Rotation: CW
Regulator: IR
New or Remanufactured: New
Approximate Weight: 17.12 lbs / 7.78 kg
Short Description: DELCO 27SI ALTERNATOR
ADDL INFO: TYPE 100
ADDL INFO: INSULATED GROUND
ADDL INFO: MILITARY APPLICATIONS
Part Numbers
AC DELCO
321-744
DELCO
10459234, 1105500
Applications
This Is A Isolated Ground 1105500 Gm Alternator For M1008, M1009, M1028, Cucv Military Or Civilian Use Trucks, These Applications Use 2 Of These Units On The Engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know that our site rules prohibit posting ebay auction links?

That alt looks good but I would confirm with a meter before installing.

Skinny

Is yours missing?

For that kind of money, I would buy a rebuild kit and do it yourself. Could probably have it done for about $30-40 in parts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ODIron has been out of business for years. More than likely he will never be back in business.

You need to edit your post to remove the link. No eBay or Craigslist ads are allowed. Even "buy it now". Those are the rules that the site owner has issued.

cucvrus

How much are the new ones. I have a local guy that makes me new ones from 100 amp GM alternators. He puts an isolated ground in them and they work fine. I am on the phone with him right now. He wants $150. each for them. Let me know if you want any.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I think there is a possibility that John will try to make it back eventually.

Not sure why the same alt wouldn't work for both sides. I ordered a couple from rare electric. They worked fine for about a year and a half and one crapped out on me. The thing started whining and smoking so off it came. I keep a spare on had so that saved me. But my local diesel shop located me a suitable replacement which I have on it now. Always good to have a spare. In fact I may order one more just to be done with it and a rebuild kit. I'd like to salvage the rare electric that died on me. Never rebuilt an alt but got nothing to loose.

Skinny

You should be able to get any 27si rebuilt as an isolated ground using the correct rebuild kit. They are really nothing special, just need to make sure you order the correct parts which are available pretty much anywhere you can buy Delco rebuilt kits. The only issue is the quality...good luck. Sometimes you don't find out till you spend the money.

As far as a spare, every CUCV has a spare alternator. It is mounted on the right side of the engine. Realistically you only need one alternator feeding the 12v side. If one fails, just put the good one in the Gen 1 position. Gen 2 is really only needed to charge the starting battery or if you are running true 24v loads. I wouldn't sweat it. That truck will start many times before Batt 2 gets low. Worst case, you can always charge Batt1 while driving, then swap it for Batt2 if an alternator died. Probably a better move to buy the rebuild parts and keep them on a shelf than to rebuilt one and toss it in the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks